GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Haruna Darbo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jan 2008 18:52:25 EST
Gentlemen,

Ebrima  I had the privilege of knowing and meeting you. We also share  mutual
friends. I have always been proud of and prouder still at the launching  and
enormous success of The Gambia Echo, of which you are founder and editor.  The
Gambia Echo has been the choice of many Gambians for their news and
education and it has promoted many worthwhile causes. The Gambia Echo stands to  gain
more readership and much success awaits her.

Suntou, I had the pleasure of knowing you and the knowledge that we are
related. You have also been a prolific coleague at Ellen. I have been both
pleased and disappointed in you as it should be in any collegial community. You
have a prosperous and valuable future ahead of you and I wish you the best as
you complete your formative studies and experiences.

The two of you seem to be poised for an unnecessary loggerhead. It is to
emanate from an article in The Gambia Echo by a reader and regular contributor
of The Gambia Echo, Mr. Samsudeen Sarr. Mr. Sarr also has published a book
which  is on sale at The Gambia Echo. Ebrima, you are the founder, proprietor, and
 editor of The Gambia Echo, which, though already successful, is in its
infancy  and stands to be even more successful. I urge you to regard Suntou as
another of  your readers whether or not he has a book published and for sale at
your paper.  What I share is that you Ebrima is and should be the veritable
arbitre of  conflicting opinion (de-minimis) or exercise maximum restraint even if
a reader  were to malign or insult you or The Gambia Echo. The Gambia Echo
and Ebrima are  more valuable than the affect of any one of your patrons and you
are, by  default, innoculated against slander, libel, and infamy. Please
recognise your  immense value and inspiring character and persona. You, of all
people, must  understand what a successful news organisation ought to look like.
I am not here  diminishing the potential chagrin or anxiety you may be under
or are likely to  come under in the future. But if you regard me as a friend
and supporter that I  want to think I am, you will drop this matter without
prejudice.

Suntou, it is the privilege of an editor to publish your opinion or
writings. That does not say whether Ebrima refused to publish them or will  refuse to
publish them in the future. You had become aware of Sam's opinions by  virtue
of your patronnage of The Gambia Echo, a paper you admittedly admire and
whose editor you have and continue to commend save for the more recent spat. How
this got to be an issue between you and Ebrima simply escapes me and if I were
 to know, I will not have been interested in it.

I was terribly disappointed to read the public placement of one of your
readers on notice. It was distasteful and ominous and portends belligerent
disposition. Please do not take offense at the words here. I share purposeful
amicus. I encourage you to take it down, and drop the matter between yourself  and
Suntou, refrain from being drawn into personal squabbles with any present or
future patronnage, and allow the exchange between Sam and Suntou to live to
its  natural or defaultive end. There is nothing I would like to see more than a
 prosperous and virulent The Gambia Echo. There is more value for you and The
 Echo in the future that risks being tarnished if you follow up on your
threat to  engage any one or two of your patronnage. Regard the patronnage as a
barometer  of the value of The Gambia Echo and the circumspect of Ebrima.

I love you and I continue to pray that Allah may guide you in due-diligence
and temperance as you grow the most prolific and highly regarded Gambian
newspaper.

Sincerely, under distress,
Haruna Darbo. The friend of You, Suntou, and Sam.

In a message dated 1/23/2008 6:11:45 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,