GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 28 May 1999 10:01:33 EDT
G-lers,

Matar has copied email to me that he has sent to "hotmail" administrators,
and has prompted me to send to them also,  the posting below.

Jabou Joh

Dear Administrators of hotmail/Jaring Malaysia Administrators,

What we have here is a group of Gambians living and working outside Gambia,
who have organized a newsgroup to keep in touch, and to express our ideas and
opinions on every subject, including the political situation in our country.
There have been issues regarding human rights in our country which are of
immense concern to us as peace loving, fair minded and freedom protecting
people, and on which issues some of us have commented as is our right as
citizens of the country. Lo and behold, Mr Njie joins the list, and made it
his personal mission to silence any criticism of the administration in our
home country, by sending out verbal insults of a magnitude that is beyond our
comprehension. He has used and directed abusive words that most of us could
not imagine ever existed.We have spent a great deal of time asking him in
every way possible to refrain from this sort of behaviour, and to understand
that the forum was set up for all to be able to express themselves, but to no
avail. His behaviour became extremely intolerable to the point that some of
our valued members opted to unsubscribe from the list. We therefore adopted a
very democratic principle of taking a vote to set up some rules and
guidelines for being a member of the list. Mr Njie was asked to be the vote
taker so that he could not accuse us of master-minding any plots against him.
The votes were in favour of instituting rules to the effect that anyone who
violates them will be subject to dismissal from the list. Well, Mr Njie not
only violated the rules many times over, but he also signed up under an
assumed name and used that to heap unheard of insults at list members who had
any  kind of comment regarding what they deem as  violations of human rights
issues, or any kinds of issues  in our home country,  . Through research by
our list owner, Dr Katim Touray, it was discovered that this individual, the
pseudonym  infact appeared to be Mr Njie himself as the postings were coming
from the same computer as his own postings. He was then asked to provide
proof that he was not one and the same as this pseudonym, and he was not able
to provide substantial evidence to the list. This evidence could have been
easily given by providing certain vital information which could have easily
proven his innocence, but he could not. Consequently, both he and this
pseudonym were  removed from the list. Since then, he has continued to send
insults to the private email addresses of people on the list, especially if
these individuals have made any comments regarding political issues in our
home country. All the correspondence attributable to Mr njie and the
pseudonym he  used to heap insults at us is well documented in our archives,
and l am sure Dr Touray can provide it to you if needs be. We have reason to
believe that he is still subscribed to the list under yet another pseudonym
since he seems to be very current with the topics being discussed on the
list. Infact, his obsession with attempting to silence any criticism of the
government in our home country has led some of us to the conclusion that
perhaps he has been given a mission to silence any criticism directed at the
present administration in our country, and since he seems to have the notion
that this is what the list was set up for, he is making all attempts to  shut
down this list by making false allegations.l am of the belief that if we
wanted to set up such a forum specifically to oppose the present government
in our country, we are definitely free to do so, and would have been able to
do so despite any attempts to the contrary. The fact that this list is a free
forum where we can discuss our ideas, including but certainly not limited to
the political situation at home  does not seem to bode well with Mr Njie, and
he is making all attempts to bring it to an end. Now, we are well aware that
here in the United States of America, we have the freedom of speech that is
not enjoyed by one and all elsewhere, and we trust that we can continue to
enjoy this freedom of speech despite the attempt to muzzle us. l personally
would like to remind Mr Njie that if indeed a group of Gambians wanted to set
up a group that is against the present government in our home country, we
could have  done it in much more grand style, with a great deal of support
both morally and financially, such that we would not have to hide behind a
news group on the internet.Therefore, l urge him to leave us alone, and trust
that your company will do it's due diligence of assisting us to put an end to
the harassment that this individual is directing at our members.

Sincerely,
Jabou Joh
Gambia_l list member.

Dear Sir/Madam,

 I understand Katim Touray, owner and manager of Gambia-L has written to you
complaining about abusive letters he's been receiving from me. In fact, I was
in the process of sending a list of all the insults I have been receiving
from Katim and his cohort, when I got this note. However, before I bring this
list to your attention, I will just give you a sample so that you can have a
bigger picture of what's happening. Here is for example a mail I got from
Sedat Kanyi, a member of Gambia-L:

 Dr. Saine, please do not waste your valuable time arguing with a "low
 life" like Matarr Njie. Not only is he deranged, he continues to take
 the expired medication prescribed to him by his doctors in Malaysia.
 He has no life outside of Gambia-L. Thus he uses the list to make up for
lost time which he will never find again.

 S/KANYI

 For your information, this is just a tip of the iceberg, and as soon as I
complete compiling my list, I will be posting them to you.

 On another note, Gambia-L, managed by Katim Touray, is being used to mount a
campaign of terror in the hearts and minds of Gambians in order to spread
fear in every Gambian, at home and abroad. As a concerned Gambian, I find it
my moral responsibility to stop this campaign, which after all is dangerous,
as it could lead to insurrection in my dear peaceful country. I can assure
you that Gambia-L was established by Katim for subversive reasons. This has
to stop. I will keep you informed as soon as I gather all the pieces
together. Thank you for your time.

 Sincerely,
 Matarr Njie.