GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ebou Jallow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Aug 2000 19:45:23 EDT
Mr Sallah,
I read your last memo to Musa with some inadvertent amusement.  Although I
submit to the current UDP initiatives for reconciliation, I have very
serious reservations on your drive to paint a picture of 'nomalcy' in the
political climate. If you at anytime believe that the UDP have returned to
"politics as usual", don't you then think it is your DUTY to lead a better
example instead of following them? Nevertheless, I sincerely appraise your
party's stance to ensure a free and fair elections, even your willingness to
boycott the elections if neccessary (which quite surprises me).  If you are
really committed to this principle, I am then really looking forward to your
challenging Jammeh's decrees which evidently discriminate and bar very
honest, competent and honourable politicians from participating in the
electoral process.  I strongly believe that you are a man of intergrity and
you will not fail our hopes of even boycotting an "elections" that is
fettered to a tyrannical statecraft.
Also I cannot understand your that theory of civil disobedience as a means
of the desparado! Honestly Mr. Sallah with due respect you need to revisit
your history books unless you want to invite another of your legendary
'debates'.  You are very very wrong on this one.  Obviously, Coup d'etats,
civil wars, revolutions and all kinds of civil strifes have an element of
discontent. Therefore civil disobedience, even if it evolves from discontent
and frustrations,  can be the only thing that works (as you even asserted
condescendingly) if the people choose to resist, with a prudent leadership,
against an illegitimate authority.  Otherwise if the people just resign to
any form of organized domination, then TYRANNY shall be the only thing that
works and this is exactly what you have in the Gambia.
Finally Mr Sallah, on a personnal note, I have a lot of respect for you.  I
believe you choose to be a political leader out of a deep conviction and
love of the Gambia.  What is going on in the Gambia is terribly wrong. You
have tried the road of the loyal opposition many many times no avail. If you
believe that it is your duty to just follow what another political party is
doing as you clearly stated in your last memo, your struggle although highly
noble needs to be seriously revisited.  You drew a very wrong analogy
quoting Senegal and President Wade's case.  Atleast Senegal has a long
tradition of a semblance of democracy, rule of law and human rights record
second to none in our sub-region.  Wade was contesting a democratically
elected President under a valid constitution that guarrantees the supremacy
of the people's mandate.  In your case, you are dealing with a tyranny which
dominated the people through a coup d'etat, and to borrow your language, has
reduced the people to mere 'spectators' and 'pawns'.  Mr.  Sallah, I think
it is time to stand up for what we believe because our fellow Gambians
definitely need a resolute leadership.

Greetings.

Ebou Jallow