GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Apr 2001 11:15:18 EDT
Well, all I can say to our illustrious ambassador Bojang is that we on the L
have not made up any stories about this regime. Everything we are
braodcasting to the World DID HAPPEN AND CONTINUES TO HAPPEN in The Gambia.

Yes, this regime did murder our children in cold blood in broad daylight and
then went through the charade of  setting  up a commission of enquiry. They
then threw out the findings because " it will do no good to the healing
process if those who shot the kids are prosecuted"?  Who do they think they
are kidding? If the real culprit of this crime is prosecuted, the whole show
will be over because this culprit is none other than Yaya Jammeh.

Sometimes I think I am actually having a bad nightmare with some of the
things these guys come up with, and it certainly is a living nightmare for
the Gambian people.

Additionally, this regime has also murdered people and no investigation
ensued. If that is not a sign of guilt, I don't know what is. What are they
afraid of  such that they refuse to investigate the killing of Koro Ceesay?

What about the bogus coups all staged to eliminate people who maybe know just
a little too much?

What about the midnight torching of  George Christenson's radio station? Was
there ever any investigation into that? Why in heaven's name would anyone
want to set fire to a radio station?

What about my former schoolmate Ababacarr Mbye Gaye and the nightmare that
this regime put him through?

What about all the journalists that have been harassed, some deported, some
leaving the country due to incessant harassment?

What  about the continous looting of our meager resources that Yaya Jammeh
has turned into his own personla investment fund?  Sources in The Gambia say
that now, soldiers are dispatcjhed to the customs posts twice a day to
collect the customs revenues. Helas!

What about the parade of civil servants fired at the whim of someone who does
not even have the ability to run a chicken coop, much less a government?

What about people like Dumo Saho who has been detained all this while. Where
are the laws in our constitution that guarantee due process to all Gambians?

The list is endless, and they are all things that have transpired, and now,
with the approaching elections, these guys are doing all  kinds of tricks to
polish their tarnished image.

Even Mr Bojang knows that he is just conducting senseless damage control with
this silly statement. I wonder how our representatives in the various
embassies around the World are able to face their peers in the diplomatic
community on a daily basis, knowing that they are seen as representatives of
a brutal  and cunning dictatorship?

I really wonder how they do this, especially Mr Bojang right here in the U.S
after that scathing  human rights report from the US state department.
Perhaps Mr Bojang should busy himself trying to clean up that one, but I
think he knows better.

The only people who are tarnishing the image of our country are the criminal
regime that is unashamedly violating every law in the land, and every human
rights law in the books, and still trying to peddle themselves as a
legitimate government. We don't even have a viable judiciary anymore because
control of that as well as everything else is in the hands of these bandits.

We are merely reporting what is going on in the country. If Mr Bojang is
concerned about the tarnishment of our country's image, the person to talk to
about this is his boss, Yaya Jammeh, but I am sure he, like his fellow
gullible associates, want to continue to ride on the backs of the Gambian
people while fully aware that this regime is nothing but a brutal
dictatorship. They also know better than to address this with Jammeh, so
instead, they come here to tell us what they should be telling him.

Jabou Joh