GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sanusi Owens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Apr 2001 18:55:52 +0100
Mr Jobe
 Your contribution on GOVERNANCE seem to be narrative.
Having read your previous emails, one would have
expected you to give an honest analysis on APRC's
doctrine on GOVERNANCE,compare it with the PPP regime
and then tell us why we should support APRC.

Am I therefore right to suggest that you are stocked
with defending the APRC and fear for the worst if you
join us in the opposition?

A major point you have omitted is whether the 1997
Constitution was the right option for The Gambia after
30 years of self perpetuated rule.
I await your response,as I am prepared to challenge
you on this issue.

On that note we look forward to your honest response.

Have a wonderful day

Sansusi

--- Kebba Jobe <[log in to unmask]> wrote: > 4.
GOVERNANCE.

> BACKGROUND.
>
> The government of The Gambia is based on the 1997
> constitution that ushered
> in the 2nd republic following the peaceful overthrow
> of the democratically
> elected government of the former PPP regime of
> former president Alh. Sir
> Dawda Kairaba Jawara. We have a republican
> constitution comprising of an
> executive (the President), the Legislature (National
> Assembly) and the
> Judiciary. The executive and legislature are both
> elected by universal adult
> suffrage and each is elected for maximum term of 5
> years. The constitution
> also allows for the executive to nominate a number
> of national assembly
> members. The president, based on the recommendation
> of the judicial Service
> Commission and approval by members of the National
> assembly, appoints the
> judiciary. The constitution is the supreme law of
> the land.
>
> In the first republic, the president appointed his
> ministers and
> parliamentary secretaries from members of
> parliament. This resulted in a
> situation were by one’s personal loyalty to the
> party and the president was
> absolute if one wanted to hold any of these
> influential positions. This
> effectively compromised the effectiveness of
> parliament who, in most cases,
> would rather go with the executive, hoping to be
> rewarded than show any
> decent based on matters of principle. The
> effectiveness of parliament, as an
> independent arm of government, was thus effectively
> compromised. The
> effectiveness of opposition parties was also put to
> severe test by the
> temptation of changing allegiance for better things.
> This became very
> rampant in the 1970s and 80s (the cross-carpet
> phenomenon). This was
> considered very unhealthy for democracy. The term of
> the presidency had no
> limitation and this resulted in the virtual
> self-perpetuation of the
> presidency of Sir D. K. Jawara. The AFPRC promised
> to rectify all that.
>
> a) THE TRANSITION PERIOD.
>
> When the government of the first republic was
> overthrown in July of 1994 and
> the constitution suspended by the then AFPRC, most
> people were either
> indifferent or actually rejoiced. The 4 year
> transition period announced by
> the AFPRC was rejected by most people which prompted
> them to set up a
> National Consultative Committee (NCC) to sensitize
> people about why they
> needed a 4 year transition period in order to
> “Rectify all the wrong things
> that the PPP government did in the name of the
> people”. They alleged that
> the former PPP government was inept, corrupt to the
> core, misused public
> [...]
=== message truncated ===