GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Dec 2003 21:28:27 EST
Omar Joof,

I read  here yeaterday that Borry Touray resigned from the case because the
way he was being treated in court by the judge led him to believe that he would
not be allowed to represent his client properly.
In an article from the Gambiapost newspaper that someone sent me, it was
reported that Waa's lawyer petitioned for the case to go to another judge which
implies that Borry Touray is still on the case? However, Waa said in counrt
today that he came to court without a lawyer because NDAM has a stipulation that
only Borry Touray can defend him and he could nto find another lawyer. It would
appear that Borry Touray did resign from the case from thsi statement and
this stipulation of NDAM's just gave these people the opportunity to revoke Waa's
bail.
Your post just mentions that the lawyer has requested that the judge be
replaced without stating which lawyer.
Why would Borry Touray resign knowing that there was a stipulation that only
he can defend Waa Juwara even in the face of his allegations of  mistreatment
by the Judge?
That very fact should have encouraged him to stay on the case and use the
case file to document the injustice that ensues from the trial which would have
been very useful as evidence of the injustice that reigns in the Gambian halls
of justice these days where it is clear that the state has taken over the role
of the judiciary.
This is all very confusing.

Jabou Joh

n a message dated 12/11/03 1:59:54 PM Central Standard Time,