GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
ebrima ceesay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Apr 2000 08:34:22 PDT
Gambia-L,

The write-up below, in disguise, is an update on the Gambian situation from
one of my sources in the Gambia. She had sent the information to me for the
comprehensive report I am doing, but I thought I should just forward a part
of her update to the L, pending my report.

Ebrima

Ebrima, the situation in the country is not only tense but grave. People are
very bitter about the Government statement which did not express remorse but
instead blame GAMSU for the carnage.

George Christenson's Radio FM 1 was threatened yesterday with closure which
he resisted. They returned and said that it would have to be closed because
he owes GAMTEL and his phone-in programme was either interrupted or was
threatened to be interrupted.

The American Embassy paid his arrears and asked him to continue
broadcasting. George Christensen reminded Sarjo Jallow, SOS Communication of
his MOJA days and why was he trying to close the station down to which he
could not come up with an adequate reply.

Ebou Njie Police was on phone-in programme blaming students and saying that
the President has had enough insults. "Students who misbehave will be shot."
he said. That is the talk of the town. Even some members of his own family
have dis-associated with his statement.

People are really fed-up. While things are going on, Yankuba Touray was out
yesterday practising his football. The whole thing is disgusting to say the
least.

GAMSU has demanded the immediate release of the bodies and those students
detained; otherwise they will be out in the streets tomorrow together with
their parents and all and saundry.

WAA Juwara was visited by members of the security forces in his compound and
was asked to disperse his vistors, but he refused. They left without
incident. The handling of this matter is a display of ineptitude of the
highest order.

NB: There are casualities in the provinces, including dead, but the
situation there has not yet been properly assesed.