GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Malanding Jaiteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Aug 2006 21:00:24 -0400
Years ago brother Saiks Samateh with the help of many Gambia-lers
compiled a list of Gambian names. In the process we have over 200
female- and 300 male names . You can find the list at
http://www.columbia.edu/~msj42/Common%20Gambian%20First%20Names.htm

this evening I got a call from a young Gambian student working on a
school project asking for the name of a mandinka musical instrument- one
used by female Jalolu accompanying the male Kora Jalo or sometimes as
solo instrument. A kind of a metal pipe (no more 6 to 8 inches long)
and a long needle (8 to 12 inches). The pipe is held in one and the
needle is used to sound it.  If you know what is called please help me out.

By the same token I am suggesting that we compiled a list of traditional
instruments of sound and music. If you know one, tell us how it is
called by the ethnic group who use it and a little description if you
can. If you have any picture that you would want to share please send it
to me and I will put it up on the webpage next to the traditional names.

Malanding Jaiteh

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい