GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Hamadi Banna <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 1999 10:33:08 PST
Ndey,

Prof. Ali Mazrui's critique of the BBC/PBS series "Wonders of the African
World" by Havard Prof. Henry Louis Gates, Jr. could not have been more apt.

Having closely followed the programme on PBS myself, I was astounded by
Prof. Gates's utter disregard for certain significant facets of Africa's
past and his sneering and distorted view of present-day social and cultural
practices in Africa.  His presentation, while having the allure of a
fruitful intellectual research, bore the hallmarks of Western prejudice
against Africa's contribution to human civilization. On the surface, it
looks like Prof. Gates is trying to uplift Africa's past from that abyss of
prejudice to show the whole world that "look, after all, we also did
contribute something".  Therein lies the contempt and the irony!  In some
instances, he arrogantly portrays the colonial picture of a
Stanley-meet-Mutesa.
That a historian of Prof. Gates's calibre would deliberately ignore the
black origins of pharaonic Egypt is an indication of the very Western
prejudice he was all along speaking against.  He, without any doubt, needs
to re-read Cheikh Anta Diop!

It is time that African-American intellectuals such as Prof. Gates discard
their Hollywoodian approach to reading African history.