GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Hamjatta Kanteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jul 2000 11:09:18 GMT
Gorgui Bamba Laye,
You have just echoed my thoughts on Halifa's letter. I have queried to
Halifa in April when these students were murdered, the rationale behind
attempting to discourse or dialogue with morally bankrput person like Jammeh
who doesn't understand the language of reason? The biggest problem we have
today in the Gambia, especially amongst the opposition leadership, is the
spineless and feeble attempts of dealing with a situation which is everyday
showing evidence of needing bold pragmatic leadership. These spineless
hectoring will always amount to zilch for Jammeh. Infact, it insidiously and
unwittingly informs him of his delusions that Gambians are at his mercy and
we can do nothing much about what he had and continues to wrought on us. If
he ever reads these missives, i am sure he must be putting on that evil
sardonic grin on his ugly face each time he reads Halifa imploring him to
exercise restraint and reason.

If we all believe, as i certainly do, that the Gambia is a sovereign
nation-state and we are masters of her destiny, then the question becomes
why in the name of such fundamental moral truth would we continue to
literally pay our opporessors to continue to oppress us? Jammeh must be told
in no uncertain terms by Halifa and CO that his [Jammeh] is a tyranny of the
Fascist kind and should not beat about the bush in informing him what we as
sovereign independent conscientious people on whose consent he rules,  what
we will and can do to usurp his ill-gotten immoral authority. Anything less
of this is a spineless and feeble attempt to smother a Fascist political
order. These missives are chafing of the surface of our current crisis. It
is time to walk Jammeh's walk and talk his talk. It is time civil society
disobeys its oppressors and flex its Leviathan muscles through nation-wide
civil disobediences  Nothing less nothing more. This is the simple truth in
today's Gambia. Political leaders owe it to their constituents and indeed,
their own moral integrity to stand up for a suffering and increasingly
forlorn Gambian people.

I am inclined to be cynical here and muse whether Halifa's letter to Jammeh
is not a crafty attempt to deflect attention from and disarm my earlier
criticisms of Monday. I hope to God this is not the case. For if we all
believe that Jammeh is killing our country, then we must in the name of
restoring the decency and respect our forebears worked hard for in the
Gambia, always speak out in vehemence and without dithering the monstrous
evil that Jammeh has been metamorphosed into since 1994. Inspite of our
differences, we must let this bind us in a common purpose. Nothing is more
urgent than this in today's Gambia. Beating about the bush with posh letters
couched in semantic cute-ness doesn't send the right frequencies to a
morally corrupt leadership that has no sense of dialogue or discourse.

Hamjatta Kanteh