GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Alhassan Sisay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Nov 2005 19:07:03 -0800
November 26, 2005
November 22,2005

The Honorable Condoleezza Rice

U.S. Department of State
2201 C Street, NW
Washington, DC 20520
Dear Secretary Rice:

It has been reported in the media and confirmed by the State Department that on November, 15, 2005, Gambian government authorities arrested three opposition political leaders -Hon. Halifah Sallah, Mr. Hamat Bah, and Mr. Omar Jallow. This unfortunate event casts the appearance of an attempt by the Republic of the Gambia to silence legitimate democratic voices of the political opposition.

Last week, I sent a letter to the Ambassador of the Republic of the Gambia expressing my concern over the arrests of these three political leaders, and I have included a copy of this letter for you. Our country profoundly values democracy and the opportunity for people around the world to pursue freedom and self-determination. I am very concerned that the arrest of the leaders of the political opposition by the Gambian government sends a signal that next year's scheduled elections are in danger of not being free or fair. I urge you to send a clear and unambiguous message to the Gambian government and hold them accountable for the safety and well-being of the three leaders, as well as to secure their release as soon as possible.

In July 2005, I had the opportunity to meet with the Hon. Halifa Sallah, the Minority Leader of the Parliament, in my Minnesota congressional office. He expressed to me his desire to work with his fellow citizens of the Gambia to engage in an open, democratic process leading to free and fair elections. This noble goal has my strong support and I would greatly appreciate all efforts by the Department of State and the U.S. mission in the Gambia to reinforce this message as well as our concern for the well-being of these political leaders.

Madame Secretary, thank you for your efforts and please keep my office informed of any developments in this situation.

Sincerely,

(Signed)

Betty McColloum
Member of Congress