GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou Camara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Aug 2003 07:34:53 -0500
Are Christians Intolerant to Muslims?

http://allafrica.com/stories/200308080599.html

The Independent (Banjul)
OPINION
August 8, 2003
Posted to the web August 8, 2003

By Pa Modou Bojang
Banjul

According to a survey conducted in the Gambia by the Federation of Gambia
Muslim's Students Organisation (FEGAMSO), a total of 7, 650 girl students
wear veil to schools. Threatened by this phenomenon, the Christian mission
schools decreed that no student should wear the veil to school. It all
started few years ago at St. Peter's Senior Secondary School where female
students were embroiled in a fierce confrontation with the school
authorities concerning the veil issue. As matters got worsened students
took the authorities to task, but eventually the matter was resolved, and
students were allowed to veil.

Students in other schools threaded along the same bumpy and rough road to
connive with teachers to counter what they referred to as "Isamization of
Christian schools", which is contrary to the rules of the school and
Christian doctrines.

Currently, schools that are involved in the problem include Gambia Senior
Secondary School and St. Therese's where students on veils were not allowed
to sit to exams.

Adamant in their stance and faith students took the bull by the horns,
saying "We prefer being expelled from school rather than unveiling, we fear
God more than a mortal being." The situation at St. Therese's became so
tense that authorities had to order the closure of the school and allowed
students to sit to exams.

The Christian community pointed fingers at some religious leaders, accusing
them for fuelling tension in Christian schools. Many feared that the issue
would further plunge the two religious denominations into dispute and
intolerance.

Virtually, Christians based their arguments on the assumption that veiling
is against the rules and regulation of the schools. Muslims on the other
hand insisted that it is in tandem with Shariah making it mandatory for
every Muslim woman.

At the helm of the controversy, government had to announce that veil must
be allowed in all schools in the country, be it Christian or Muslim.

The secretary of state for Education Ann Therese Ndong-Jatta

commented thus: "My ministry is pleased to announce the wearing of veils by
girls in all schools in The Gambia. However, the school authorities must
choose the colour of the veil. But this does not mean that girls will cover
the whole of their body to school. That will not be acceptable by the
government. If anybody wants to cover your whole body, then the best for
you to do is to transfer to Islamic school."

Haja Kebbeh, Gambia Senior Secondary Student

"We are ready to leave school rather than throw away the veil. We are doing
it in line with Islamic teachings and principles. We are committed to what
we are doing because as Muslim students, we pray in school, which implies
that we must cover our body during prayers time.

We wonder why the school authorities are going against the veil after all
religions in the world advocate women to cover their body as a way of
safeguarding chastity. Let them expel us but we will continue to wear the
veil."

St. Therese's Girl Students

"We thank and extend praise to Allah for guiding us to the right path.

We have not been instigated by anyone, but decided to vein upon receiving
guidance from Allah. This attracted eyebrows from the school authorities
that remained defiant that we should throw away the veil.

But we are committed to the veil, and we wear it at all times. We sleep
with it. We are ready to leave school rather than abandon the veil.

Contrary to claims, nobody is sponsoring us. We count on Allah's support
and hope that He will make us steadfast in our faith. We fear none except
Allah alone. Those who don't want to see us wearing the headscarf will die
of grudge."

Imam Abdoulie Fatty of State House

"The fact is that there is lack of proper Islamic conduct in The Gambia
otherwise the veil issue will never raise controversy or heated debate.

All schools should allow girls to wear hijab to school because it has
nothing to do with performance of the girl child. Whether the school
authorities want it or not, students will veil themselves by Allah's will.
The veil issue will undoubtedly put many parents into hell if they fail to
ask Allah's forgiveness. It is an irony to hear parents lamenting against
the veil calling it a new thing in The Gambia. Such statements are
misleading and offensive to God's sanctity. It is therefore incumbent on
the government to stick to right Islamic teachings, than to fear any mortal
being. They have the powers to succumb to good morals in the society or
else fear God's wrath on the day of judgement.

"Those veiled students should be steadfast in their faith because God loves
them that was why they see the light. The Holy Quran has advised believing
men to ask their daughters and wives to cover their whole body so that they
would attract other men. We have been praying to God to instill faith in
our wives and daughters so that they would continue to veil themselves. It
is a clear proof that God has started answering our prayers but it is
surprising for a handful of people to go against the veil. These are the
real Satan. Surely with Allah's powers, girls in Western schools will
continue to wear the veil unhindered."

Imam Saja Fatty of Tallinding Central Mosque

"A big judgement awaits the parents who signed the school rule that their
daughters will not cover their heads while in school. This gives power to
school authorities to bar Muslim girl students from practicing their
religion in school. The Gambia is 98% Muslim population, meaning that our
voice should be raised to the highest zenith."

Alh Afang Essa Bojang, the Imam of Manduar

"The veil matter shouldn't be a big issue in The Gambia if 98% of our
country's population are Muslims. I may wonder why some people frown at
veil since it plays crucial place in Islamic teachings. This order came
from Allah that woman should cover the whole of her body except the face
and hands. It is incumbent on Muslim parents to inculcate Islamic teachings
into their children both in and out of school. Then the authorities
concerned should not bar girls from wearing veil to schools. We are praying
for religious tolerance in the country."

An Islamic scholar

"I squarely blame Imam Fatty for fuelling what happens at St. Therese's
because he called on girl students to wear the veil to school. Gambian
girls are not used to putting on the veil, so how can they be used to it
overnight. The problem is not the Christians but Muslims who double speak
on the issue."

Alieu Sillah, Islamic Student

"I am surprised to hear that the Christians are against their own Biblical
teachings. Perhaps they don't know or are trying to ignore that truth. The
Bible (I mean the unaltered one) advised women and girls to cover their
body but only Sisters at the Church are obeying this rule. What about other
Christian ladies? Are they above the Biblical teachings? Are they not
supposed to follow their own holy book?

I implore Muslims clerics to tackle the veil issue as soon as possible
because this could spark off religious intolerance in the country in
future?"

Copyright © 2003 The Independent. All rights reserved. Distributed by
AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com).