GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rene Badjan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Aug 2001 18:09:54 EDT
Hamadi,
        As always your analyses are quite sobering. At the moment, most
probably a lot of Gambians, are waging a struggle within themselves. This
struggle is one of discernment. Some would express it openly, but others
would internalize it and maintain their silence. Nonetheless, the evolving
political situation would challenge the most sober minds, to subject all
these developments to a very critical appraisal.

     The things that are happening are not accidents. And they are not
happening in a vacuum. They are necessitated by the demands of a political
situation, in which people can only be true to themselves. Their positions
will have to reflect their abiding trust in either themselves, the causes
that they believe in, or the loyalties and allegiances to which they are
committed. All these positions may be govern by sincerity, to the extend that
this sincerity characteristically motivates the interest that are cherish. It
is therefore all about interest. But whose interest?

      The battle lines may be drawn. The partisan nature of this struggle may
begin to take shape.

     In the overall scheme of things, I believe the PDOIS position is
consistent with their fundamental beliefs. They are not interested in any
government of National unity or the sharing of power. And I also believe they
would not be interested in any efforts geared in this direction. I may be
wrong. Their only interest in a coalition is for a presidential candidate
that would serve at least for a year, in which all the democractic structures
constitutionally and organically would be in place, to evolve a genuine
democratic culture. I stand to be corrected.

    Rene