GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lamin Manneh PF <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Oct 2001 15:29:36 -0800
The people of URD had clearly and outwardly demonstrated their ardent
support for the opposition parties during the last presidential election .
What were the reasons behind this and can we deploy the same strategies in
the Kombos and elsewhere to get almost all the seats in the forthcoming
National Assembly election?

The strategy in the URD works very well for the oppositions especially UDP.
Instead of following the campaign trail of UDP, big wing militants and
opinion leaders of Basse concentrated in their respective influential areas
and native villages to expose the appalling realities of an APRC government.
Former popular politicians and civil servants from the families of N'jie,
Sey, Tambedou, Cham, Camara, Sighateh, Jallow, just to mention a few, work
relentlessly to get every single vote in URD. They don't have to conduct
mass and flamboyant rallies but a tedious and effective one on one campaign.
This really pays dividend because a person/community centered campaign will
ensure an effective delivery of message and a better accomplishment of
goals. In the bedrooms, compound grounds and at the Bantabas, these folks
talk about every single tyranny perpetuated by the APRC regime-from student
killings to high inflations, restrictions on traveling to the buying of
groundnuts, human right abuses and the rule of law etc.
In the Komboes, where is our opinion leaders and former influential
political figures? They were either quite or supporting APRC. The only
person i had speaking on UDP's platform was Alh. Dembo Jatta.

One other thing that contributed to an opposition victory in Basse was the
immense contribution and influence of the Diaspora. I heard one single man
was able to convince the whole village to vote for UDP. Can we the Kombonkas
in the diaspora emulate these Basse "semesters" or "malang-o"?

I will continue my election analysis.
Cheers
Lamin PF Manneh