GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"D. Singhateh" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Jul 2000 04:26:45 -0700
On Sat, 1 Jul 2000, Ebrima Ceesay wrote:

> >To: [log in to unmask]
> >Subject: High Court Judge T. A. KABALATA dismissed

This is sad and thanks to Ebrima and his source.  What is going on in the
Gambia, folks?  How can the AG bring his case to the court before a judge
or magistrate and sack them if he did not get a ruling he had hoped
for?  Where is the logic?  What is the point?  Why did he have to
bother?  Why do we need the law if the courts cannot protect and defend
it?  We need answers.  Tombong help if it would not cost you your
job.  But then again you owe it to the people of the Gambia and I know you
are not without conscience.  So now the really question that begs to
ask is: TOMBONG, DO YOU HAVE THE WIT TO TELL THE TRUTH?  What are all
these firings about?  Please supply us with some answers.

Folks, in every democracy there are three totally independent branches
that oversee the affairs of the state.  These are the executive branch,
the legislative branch and the judiciary.  However, the Gambia appears to
have just one such body and that is the executive branch.  In the Jawara
days, the courts were fairly independent.  I cannot say the same thing for
the legislative branch.  However, as it appears now, both the courts and
the legislative branch dance to Yahya's tunes.  The inner dynamics of
both branches are controlled by Yahya.  They are not working for
the people.  They are only being used as a scapegoat.

                God save the GAMBIA.

Dawda Singhateh