GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Apr 2001 16:00:07 -0400
Buharry, thanks for your post. Let me try and make something very clear at
the onset. I take full responsibility for not clarifying that in my earlier
response to your post and I apologize for that. When I replied you, there
were portions in which I was trying to respond to other postings that
touched on issues regarding the general theme of the discourse. I took it
for granted that you will recognize that some of the points I raised were
not necessarily ascribed to you and you will not take credit for them. My
bad. In areas that I was not responding to you, I should have made it
abundantly clear that I was not talking to you. Rather than just assume that
people will notice that. As you can probably tell by your busy schedule, it
is virtually impossible to respond directly to all the postings one might
want to respond to. So, at times what I try to do, is send a message through
other postings. I hope you realize that I was not trying to put words in
your mouth, so to speak. I was very careful not to ascribe to you statements
that you did not make.

That aside, I will try and respond to your questions. If you reread my first
quotation you will realize that I was talking about the UDP leadership and
not the party per se. I still think it is a mistake to engage in a blame
game as far as handling the aftermath of the elections is concerned. We can
certainly analyze the results and see where we went wrong. We all have our
views about where things went wrong. My personal view is that the major
culprit here was vote-buying. You see, if one has that view, one will not
then turn around and blame the UDP leadership for not putting forward a good
message or not being up to the job. That was where I was coming from when I
said that we should not be too hard on UDP (in this instance). I do not
believe it was their fault that they lost the election. This is my personal
view. You may disagree with that. Fine. I will try and convince you if I
can, if not, I will just let you be.

I will not get into the discussion of whether I prefer one party to another
or one leader to another. The G_L archives attest to the fact that, for me,
my primary concern is to have a united opposition to defeat Yaya. I support
all the Opposition parties that I believe share that goal (of having a
united opposition) with me. UDP was the party that was most relevant to the
discussion that we were having. Naturally, if I want to come to the defense
of the Opposition, I would have to speak about UDP and not NRP or PDOIS.
Please find time and check the archives; then you will have no doubt that I
am advocating for one Opposition party at the expense of another Opposition
party that shares my goal. In short, I am not trying to stop anyone from
taking UDP on if they wish. But I feel it is within my rights to point out
to my friends that it is counterproductive to cut the hand that feeds you.

The second point you raised also evinced some misunderstanding between us.
That is my fault. I did not reread my post, but if my recollection serves me
right, around the paragraph you quoted, I had made it clear that your
suggestions were great as we moved forward towards October. I thought that
was enough to communicate to you that I took you statements in good faith as
food for thought for October and not as Monday Morning quarterbacking. I
know you are a very busy man. I was by no means suggesting that you should
not contribute to the debate for October. On the contrary, I fervently want
you to contribute to that debate. You know that. Having said that, I am sure
you will agree with me that it does not do the Opposition any good if we
stay mute until after the election is lost and then start engaging in
counterproductive finger-pointing.

As far as communicating the message is concerned, I think we are both
talking about the same thing. So I will not dwell on that. Suffice for me to
say that when I raised that issue, therein laid the extent to which I will
admonish the Opposition for the election debacle. If one reads that
properly, one will realize that I was not saying that UDP and the Opposition
should not be 'put on the spot'.

The last issue you touched also does not show that we are far apart. Some of
what I said there was addressed directly to you. Unfortunately those
portions were not quoted. Again, if my recollection serves me right, when I
spoke about human rights, I addressed you, Buharry, directly. And I pointed
out to you why I thought it was important to our people. I also pointed out
that we can do a better job with the delivery on that issue. Again, I will
ask you to indulge me and when you reread my post, please do not take credit
for things you did not say in your earlier posting.

Our major difference here might be our reasons for why the elections was
'lost'. You do not seem to attach too much importance on the fact that votes
were bought to disenfranchise UDP supporters. I do. If we have this
disagreement, then we will also not agree about who to blame for the debacle
and to what extent.

Lastly, I still maintain that it is unfair to assume that because APRC
'won', UDP did not tackle the issues the way they should have. I do not
believe you have all the facts in your hands. With your busy schedule, I can
only assume that you were not doggedly following the UDP campaign trail and
you do not know all the issues they discussed and how they discussed them. I
do not think that UDP politicians are inept enough to go to Kiang, meet
farmers and their plight, and instead of discussing the groundnut fiasco,
they start discussing lack of electricity in Banjul. I might be giving UDP
'too much credit' here, but I just cannot imagine this level of inefficiency
in the Opposition. Your concluding sentences evinced the major gulf between
us as far as analyzing these results is concerned. From the onset, I
concluded that APRC cannot win on the issues. I said that they cheated in
order to win. They themselves admitted that they cheated. So, rather than
blaming UDP for something I do not think is a problem, my efforts were
geared at trying to avoid this cheating. Having said that, I also recognized
that we also have those misguided people that voted for APRC. We need to do
some work on these people too. That is where election proponents like
yourself should come in. I encourage you to do so.
KB