GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Apr 2000 18:59:09 EDT
Saine,  I hope this helps to address some of the concers raised by you and
the original sender of this message. The Coroner's job in this matter is
quite simple. His primary task is to determine the cause of the death of
those who died in this unfortunate incident. His charging powers are merely
ancillary (I don't mean to minimize these powers though). What I am trying
to say is that, even if he does not hand down indictments, that does not
render the perpetrators of these heinous crimes scot-free. The ultimate
decision of deciding whether to charge these criminals and the crimes to
prosecute them for, is within the purview of the attorney general and the
independent prosecutor he is going to appoint.
The Coroner's report should contain findings as to whether the deaths
resulted from gunshot wounds. Proverbial piece of cake. Surely, the
pathologist(s) that conducted the autopsies can tell the difference between
death resulting from gunshot wounds and death resulting from injuries
sustained from stone and stick throwing.
Ousman Jammeh can therefore call the pathologist(s) in order to establish
what type of instrument caused the death of those brave children. Upon
determining that the deaths were caused by bullet wounds, Ousman Jammeh
should then call ballistics experts to tell us what type of bullets were
used. The next step is to determine where the bullets came from. Ousman
Jammeh should call the person(s) in charge of distributing arms and
ammunitions to tell us what barracks/camp/police station the ammunitions
identified by the ballistics expert came from. This testimony can be done
without compromising 'national security' secrets. Once the locations of the
ammunitions that were used in this incident are identified, the task of
identifying those who were in possession of those bullets on that fateful
day would begin.
This brings us to the charging powers of the Coroner. The only question
Ousman Jammeh has to ask himself is …. Who should stand trial to answer for
the murder of our children in broad daylight? As you can see, this is a very
low threshold. At this stage, we are not determining guilt or innocence. So
we are not talking about proof beyond a reasonable doubt as to who committed
these atrocities. We are only talking about who should appear before a court
of law to defend himself or herself in the face of evidence saying that he
or she committed murder. I realize that this is a serious affair and I do
not mean to suggest that charging someone with the murder of 15 or more
children should be taken lightly. All am saying is that there is a big
difference between saying that someone should stand trial for a crime and
saying that someone is guilty of a crime. Needless to say, the former does
not require an elaborate inquiry.
What Ousman Jammeh is being asked to do is what is done by grand juries in
The United States everyday. Those of us who are junkies of courtroom dramas
on TV would be familiar with the American slang that 'a grand jury can even
indict a ham sandwich'. Simply put, deciding whether to indict someone for
the murder of our children on April 10 is not rocket science.
The real work begins when and if an INDEPENDENT prosecutor is appointed.
That prosecutor can conduct further investigations and beef up charges to
include conspiracy charges and other inchoate offences. These are the
charges that should lead us to the ultimate culprits. As I mentioned in an
earlier piece I wrote to the L, I am not that familiar with the Gambian
constitution to know whether Yaya and other members of the executive who
might be implicated in this are immune from prosecution while they are in
office. I defer to seasoned constitutional lawyers on this matter. Suffice
for me to say though, the independent prosecutor should still go ahead and
indict Yaya and others and have them come to court and hide behind the
constitution. One can strongly argue that even if they are immune from
prosecution for actions done in their official capacities, killing children
or ordering the killing of children cannot be within the 'official
capacities' of Yaya and his gang. I doubt though whether the judges in The
Gambia (who are mainly foreigners) have either the political will or the
integrity to accept this type of argument. But that's okay. What dragging
Yaya to court will achieve is, it will show everyone in The Gambia and
beyond what these people are capable of doing.
To wrap up, I think we should:
1. Ensure that Ousman Jammeh comes back with concrete and legitimate
findings regarding the cause of death.
2. Ensure that Ousman Jammeh charges the soldiers who shot those fatal
bullets.
3. Ensure that Ousman Jammeh hands over the findings in his report to the
independent prosecutor.
4. Ensure (most important of all) that an INDEPENDENT PROSECUTOR (of the
utmost integrity) is appointed to investigate and prosecute this case. If a
commission of inquiry is appointed, as suggested by some, we should make
sure that that the enabling laws setting up such a body would give the
commission punitive powers. However, I prefer the appointment of an
independent prosecutor to try this case before our regular courts.