GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Yusupha C Jow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Sep 2001 12:17:23 EDT
Gambia-L;

 Alieu Sesay's posts -- which BTW had nothing to do with the topic eing
discussed at the time -- was an exercise in libel and slander.  Had these
slanderous claims not been within the confines of this esteemed list, I would
have sued Mr. Sesay for libel for nothing contained in his post was true.  It
was a vicious attempt to demean my person by basing his post on slanderous
claims.

His claims that my college education was financed by loans which are still to
be paid are slanderous and demeaning to my late father, who with the help of
almost complete financial aid from MIT, helped me pay my way through college.
He did not have to finance my education through loans from the Gambia
government. Instead, I was the one who was burdened with the task of paying
for the costs I had incurred plus the additional costs of taking care of
cars, houses and my partner.  If Mr. Sesay wanted to know about the status of
my loans or the method employed to pay for my college education, I would have
willingly given him the 411.

His claims that I have a personal problem with the Miss Joh could not also be
further from the truth.  Miss Joh has basically engaged in an exercise of
double-talk, especially when it concerns her fanatical views where she seems
to have a clear problem distinguishing between the religion and Arabs.. She
condemned the attack, yet at the same time put forth subtle references that
Muslims around the World are suffering as if to justify what happened.  I
called her to task because my dogma does not allow for anyone -- regardless
of their age -- to peddle such hypocrisy and go unchallenged.  Considering
the circumstances surrounding the tragic events of Sep 11th, calling her to
task was all the more justified.

The other claims that Sesay tried to peddle were also as frivolous as they
come. Nevertheless, accusing one of substance abuse are very serious claims
which need to be substantiated.  I would therefore challenge Mr. Sesay to
substantiate his claims that I am indeed engaged in the use of chemicals. The
reason the aforementioned tried to slander me is because of a deep lying
sense of hatred and envy.  It is not my fault that my grandmother had the
foresight to buy properties in Fajara when the real estate prices were low.
It is not my fault that I went to MIT, while my siblings got higher degrees
from schools like Oxford, Cambridge, and the University of Manchester. It is
not my fault that I develop wireless clients for AOL and that my input is
recognized by some top ranking hitters within the best ISP and content
provider on Earth. But regardless of these facts, envious elements in our
society want to condemn me for being in this position.  They want to call me
a Tappet, yet Mr. Sesay himself hides behind names and slings insults.  If as
he posited, he was once a friend to me, his actions are even more cowardly
for he does not have the guts to come out of the shadows and let his beef be
heard.  I unequivocally condemn him as a coward, one full of envy, as well as
a back-stabber.  People like him fear me for they know that I am stronger
than them in almost every category which determines the true principles of a
human being.

For Miss Joh, a self professed born again Muslim, to profiteer in Mr Sesay's
attempt to slander me and use the opportunity to spread more bogus claims
about my person also speaks volumes about this lady.  I would rather be an
animist than resort to that type of behavior.  I have nothing against Jabou
but double-talk from her shall be challenged regardless of her age.  I do not
subscribe to this theory which allows for our elders to ruin our society and
walk scott free.  It is this same mediocrity and nonchalance that has put
Gambia in this quagmire.  I refuse to subscribe to such primnitive and
short-sighted traditions and I know that there are others out there who shall
endeavor to make sure we never again fall short in this aspect.  Even if she
was my dear mother's age - which she is not - I would still challenge her
double speak.  This is a forum for the exchange of ideas not one where we
hold back and refuse to engage others simply by virtue of their age.  This to
me is backward and does not provide a good atmosphere for the exchange of
ideas.

I offer my deepest apology and regret for what happened on Saturday.  Our
religion and cultural traditions espouse the principles of forgiveness and
understanding, and I hope you judge me with those principles in mind.  Also,
please remember that it is human to err but hypocritical to act as if one is
without sin or make claims that the individual failings of any human can be
used to judge another's character.  I plead for  forgiveness, especially from
those elders of this list who are spread all over the diaspora.

 I thank everyone who in some way offered a helping hand to lift me up from
my fall.  I shall repay your support in full.

Thanks and best regards,
Yus