GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ngai Jobe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Oct 2001 12:18:00 -0500
Now it's all over and Yahya Jammeh has been re-elected. I congratulate him
and wish him the best. To Ousainou Darboe, I say Good luck next time and
thanks for putting a good fight.

I must confess that I am really disappointed…It is hard to believe that
Gambians, especially those in Banjul and Serrekunda voted for Yaya Jammeh.
Gambians know what we went through in the last 7 years of Jammeh's rule..We
have seen the killings, the incarcerations, the high prices of commodities
and so on and so forth. Gambians have seen how Yahya blatantly showed his
corruption by dishing out money willy nilly, sending his wife to the US for
medical visits. Gambians have seen how Yahya acquired so much wealth over
the years-a private jet, countless vehicles and so forth. Gambians have
heard over and over again Yahya insulting our elders and threatening people
with his favorite phrase of 'six feet deep'.Gambians have seen the hiring
and firing like nobody's business..

The question is 'why did the Gambian people vote for Yahya?'
We all know that Gambians are peaceful and would like to see nothing in our
country but peace. I am of the believe that had Yahya lost the elections,
there would be chaos in the country. I believe that Yahya would have gone
ballistic and would do anything to stay in power even if it involved killing
to get through. He has done this before. He killed/incacerated all the
military personel he thought could jeopardize his being in power and will
continue to do so. He accused many of plotting a coup against him just to
get rid of them. This man is power hungry---he has enjoyed what he never had
or even dreamt of having..It is hard to let go.

Gambians know this and to avoid bloodshed in the country, they voted for
Yahya knowing fully well that Ousainou would've been a better president for
the Gambia. However they  may have thought that voting for Yahya would help
prevent bloodshed but this is not the case. Right now he has closed all the
borders-Reason? To track down all those who openly supported the Alliance
and bring them to 'justice'. He will go on a witch hunt and so will his
cohort Yankuba Touray. I hope and pray that I am wrong !!

May god help the Gambian people-Ameen.
Ngai