GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Saikou Samateh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Aug 2000 21:42:54 +0100
GL,
I wish to share with you some of the texts of the young Malian great singer,Rokia Traore :

       "When you are aware of your usefulness,why deprive your self of being arrogant ?
Such is the answer of the tree who,while recognising the advantage of its shade,refuses to deplore the sight of its fallen dead leaves.
But,so the lesson tells us,we are useful only with respect to others.
If you held them in contempt,you shall find yourself
alone and more helpless than ever before."

"A free relationship is preferable
to marriage,the girl declared.
But such a relationship is very
fragile,answers the wise man.
Perhaps,but the fate of the wife
is no more enviable.
Obedient,hard-working,fertile
and solitary-that is what she is
asked to be: a prisoner of a
thorny bush:the dongori so our
mothers sing at marriages.
May they let us profit from life
Youth is so fleeting>why should
a woman sacrifice it in the
loneliness of marriage?
You are right little one,let us
pay homage to those hard-
working courageous women.Times have changed,the hour
has come for its emancipation.
Yes ,times have changed today
we are emancipated."

"We owe much to great men who have made our history.
But fame is not inherited,It`s won.And so we must break with hypocrisy,trickery
and lies-behaviour that is prejudicial to dignity;we should strive to work like
Soundiate in the Mende,Da Monzonb in Segou,Behema in Kenedougou,Djosse in
Koumi and Askia Mohamedin Northern Mali.They are dead,but their fames lives on.
We shall not inherit it,for we must earn our own."

Enjoy them.

For Freedom
Saiks