GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bokaloho <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jul 2000 12:22:44 -0000
Friends,
Today was the court ruling in my case against the state (the unlawful arrest
and detention of Dumo Sarho).
The Judge clearly stated that by this arrest and detention, Dumo had been
deprived of his basic human rights as stated in the constitution, and that
NO AUTHORITY IN THIS COUNTRY SHOULD BE ABOVE THE LAW! Had it not been that
the Magistrate in Kanifing had ordered him to be kept in remand for
suspected treason, he would have been unconditionally released.
The ruling was followed by a number of lawyers, journalists and members of
the public and I believe it is a great victory, not only for Dumo but for
all others that have been put away in the same manner.
Still, though, we don't know where he is kept and even the lawyers have not
had access to see him. According to Fridays press-release from the Director
General of the police, the treason case will be brought to the high court
this week, so it will be interesting to see the development.
A luta continua!
Thanks for your support!
Annika