GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jamila Allston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 2001 12:47:27 -0800
Dear Saul,

I recognize your frustration at what appears to be a slowness of
movement regarding issues that critical to the life and survival of
Gambians, yet I must point out several issues.

First and foremost...THIS IS AMERICA!  AMERICA does not care about
Africa, its people and its stability any more than any other European
Nation.  To think otherwise is to remain quite deluded.

Second... the AFRICAN-American representatives that you often contact,
whether they are legislative representatives, the heads of
organizations, and institutions, are in their respective positions by
the very fact that they are viewed as middle-class participants in the
system and thus non-threatening to the larger American system of
operation.  These men and women too often serve as the middle men
between the Rulers of Society and the Oppressed.  Remember the majority
of these men and women do not come from grass roots backgrounds and are
quite comfortable with their new founded status in society, even if
that status is based on supposedly articulating the needs of "the
downtrodden, the poor and the oppressed."

AFRICAN-Americans (men, women and children) die every day and too often
at the hands of the system.  If these very same representatives are not
going to stop their planned meetings, conferences over the death of
their own in America, what makes you think that they will cancel or
change the venue of a planned trip, conference, etc. over the death of
their African brethren?  Remember American entered into an Aviation
Agreement with The Gambia immediately after the death of the students!
Where is our outrage over this deal and other deals that America is
quietly entering into with the government of The Gambia?  That is where
the real horror lies, not with some mis-guided and ineffective
AFRICAN-Americans with no real weight!

Third... do we really want AFRICAN-Americans to stop going to The
Gambia.  Don't we need some to go to possibly see first-hand what is
going on, so that they can bring the message back?  Are we also ready
to demand that Dr. Mary Mbsowa and Dr. Maat cancel their yearly summer
abroad student trip to The Gambia this May until the deposing of Jammeh
after the upcoming Presidential Election?  All deposits have already
been sent into the Gambia for these trips.  Are we ready to ask these
student to not come home to Africa as planned (a life-long dream for so
many); students who have worked arduously to save the money for this
trip? Do we have the power to demand the immediate cessation of The
Roots (Show and Tell) Festival as well?  How do we decide what
countries in Africa are permissible for visitation by AFRICAN-Americans
and other concern persons if we are trying to set up an arbitrary
travel ban for AFRICA?  Based on the present dis-stabilization and
atrocities taking place throughout the continent of AFRICA, there is
almost no country that would remain on the list for visitation.  Do we
take a stance that basically says "Stay Away From Africa" and allow the
dictators and their cohorts to finish the job of killing and maiming
all opposition to their reigns of tyranny?  Or do we work at developing
multiple strategies to educate and achieve the needed change without
causing further isolation and danger to those already at risk?

I understand the frustration, and commend the vigor and commitment to
effect change in The Gambia, but we must look at the whole picture as
we develop and revise our ongoing strategies.

Peace.

                              Jamila

Unfortunately their removal from the evironment of those less fortunate

=== message truncated ===