GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"SS.Jawara" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Mar 2002 04:28:33 +0200
Dear List members:
CC.

Well,  as far as this issue is concerned i have to start with the European
example that has already  inspired nations in other parts of the world to
follow suit. Ambitious plans  for regional or  subregional economical
integration have in fact been stressed in other parts of the world.
Argentina, Brazil.Paraguay and Uruguay are on the way to a common market.
The same goes for the Caribbean countries, likewise The United states,
Canada and Mexico. It also seems that the ASEAN countries  of the south east
asian countries are determined to strenghten their economic cooperation. I
do not see any reason why a  West African currency, with a common central
bank cannot be in existence.  It is only through regional economic
cooperation like the one within the European Community that we can achieve
political stability, social and economic improvement as well as strenghten
our global position in the global market.

I think that since the continent is less open to international trade than
other regions of the world, it is high time for our leaders to find a
solution to Africa´s  poor performance in trade that has led to its terrible
maginalisation.
To be able to take an active part in global trade expansion, Africa needs to
start up a credible  regional economic  promotion strategy. And the best way
to come to this i think is governments to lock themselves in good economic
policies aimed to benefit the whole region.

A West African central Bank will in fact help control inflation and to
harmonise banking and other business regulations in the whole region.
Regional coodination of banks and other financial institutions, coupled with
adequate lagislation could reduce risk, increase investment and provide a
stimulus to cross border trade.

We know that the 90´s  have been years of crises, conflicts and continous
deepening poverty not only in our region or country alone, but the whole of
Africa. I  do not understand  when people like Dr. Saine whom i thought to
be well cultivated on world issues, particularly African issues criticises
president Jammeh  that poeple in the Gambia have become poorer under his
rule. With global foreign direct investment reached 100 billion US dollars
in 1995, only 5 % went to the African continent with North Africa as the
only African region with increased trade. 65% went to Asia and 27% to Latin
America.

As long as the capitalists institutions like the IMF/the world bank,
countries and multi-national companies are in power, the poor and small
nations will  just continue to be maginalised unless they  find their own
solutions to their problems. There can never be an economic self reliance if
African countries do not start with putting together their economies and
pull down trade barriers.

Thanks for Sharing!

SS.Jawara,
Stockholm, Sweden.