GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Solomon Sylva <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Oct 2001 14:49:45 -0500
The Drought in Gambian Politics (editorial)

The Independent

October 29, 2001
Posted to the web October 29, 2001

Banjul, the Gambia

They have the expertise, the influence, the gait, the standing, the resources and the appeal but not the courage, and disarming drive to chart the political waters, which boringly enough has always been the exclusive preserve of men.

Without them our political landscape is in a permanent state of drought - very boring with macho-spoilt men who know all, want all and take all there is in politics. This boring landscape will remain just so because Gambian women are still happy to be at the fringes, clapping, dancing, cajoling and canvassing for votes that always go to men. The average Gambian woman whether educated, exposed or influential, is a timid quantity bogged down by austere stereotypes, which bespeak of a male-dominated society. She is bold as long as politics is not in the take. But the best test of how successful their drive for gender equality has been over the years is to shore up courage and taste the wild waters of Gambian politics, which is so far undiluted, unexpansive, and unwieldy with the gaits of men who have ran out of ideas as they lead all the way and all the time.

Gambian women have been left down the ladder by their more vociferous and bolder counterparts in other countries who have taken the flight to top floor positions. The Indians had their Indira Ghandi, the British Margaret Thatcher, the Pakis Benazir Bhutto, the South Africans Winnie Mandela, the Senegalese Mariam Ly Wone and the Indonesians Megawati Sukarnoputri, who rightly defied gender stereotypes reinforced by religious and social edicts to stare men in the eyes and challenge them in politics. Their case represents the most telling successes for women determined to free this world from the last stubborn vestiges of by-gone eras, when women played alongside men as low-rated second-fiddles in everything. Because of the Bhuttos we can proudly say that the world has come a long way from those pristine ages. However, The Gambia is one of the very last frontiers, where educated and courageous women should rise up to the challenge of rewriting the gender history and free the hapless lot of Gambia's rural women.

But where are our Siga Jagnes, Binta Sidibehs, Satang Jobartehs, Isatou Tourays, Fatoumatta Jahumpa Ceesays, Amie Joof-Coles, Isatou Njie Saidys, Amie Bojangs, Juka Jabangs, Beatrice Allens, Amie Bensoudas ? Where are our Adelaide Sosseh-Gayes, Fatou Bom Bensoudas, Kujeja Mannehs, Aisha Camaras, Hawa Sisay Saballys, Jainaba Johms, and Oumie Sannehs? Where are our Amie Sillahs, Baturu Camaras, Nyimasata Sanneh-Bojangs, Jainaba Nyangs, Saffiatou Singhtehs, Fatoumatta Waggehs, Yamai Secka-Jacks, Julia Joiners and Ramatoulie Seckas? Where are they now why are they quiet? If it is honesty, women have better and cleaner records and so better poised to lead in politics. If it is dedication and commitment, women are better exponents of the practice. If it is a tendency to be less controversial, women are better examples. If it is the art of organising and expediting a process women are the experts? So why are they shying away from politics, which demamds honesty, dedication, organisation and expertise, which are these women's trademarks. It is a shame that with all these array of capable women, The Gambia can boast of only one woman in the National Assembly who is in fact nominated thanks to the considerate temperament of a man who felt they are being left out. There was a large number of women voters in the last election, which suggest the interest to participate but not to lead. We are happy that women are running successful NGOs and institutions that are of immense national importance, but we would be happier if they push hard into politics and become MPs, mayors, chiefs and...eh even presidents.

      Top | Copyright | Privacy Policy | Who We Are | Advertising | Sponsor Wire

      Copyright © 2001 The Independent. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com).