GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"SS.Jawara" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 01:44:18 +0100
Dear  G-L:

I am both pessimistic and optimistic about the development expectations in
The Gambia/Africa/the third world that some of you did mention here. By
stating this possibility i am far from asserting that the third world
countries are hopelessly backward, nor that aid or some however small trade
possibilities with the rich nations might be pointles. Report by the world
bank in 1990 said that the third world as a whole has increased its BNP,
that socio-economic progress has been achieved per capita in spite of the
rapid population growth. Still sad to say, some negative expectations are
some sud-saharan countries such as ours

Sometimes i tend to be more optimistic by saying that there are good reasons
to believe that modern science, technology and agriculture will make it
technically possible  to get rid of mass poverty especially the type in
Africa. This is rationally possible, no doubt about it. The most serious
obstacle let me say is still, human shortcomings and the weakness that
prevent rational solutions of the problems. It is certainly realistic to
take for granted that these weaknesses will never be eliminated during my,
Modou Sidibehīs or anyone in the present debateīs   life time. This may be
taken that  the efforts or fomula  to abolish mass poverty are bound not to
succeed. But still to say, such a conclusion is hardly justified. Letīs  say
if it is true as i think it is, that the abolish of mass poverty is a
condition for human survival, reason may still prevail in the long run! Not
to say for many Africans, it is a way of life worth no effort, instead "
Yalla Bach Nah". But never before has mankind been confronted with such a
threat to its survival as we are experiencing today, this does not exclude
the west. However, this fact is becoming generally into realization.

I am just paying serious attention to the pessimistic view which i outlined
on top, just trying  to criticize the oversimplified theories of development
given in the debate i think is unrealistically ambitious. We have to
understand that the problem of mass poverty in our Africa is extremely
complicated and that a solution to the problem requires enormous efforts
particularly on our side. Trade with America will not solve anything if we
do not see things from a broader perspective.

Thanks for Sharing!
Good night.

SS.Jawara,
Sweden.