GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ginny Quick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Aug 2005 08:01:33 -0500
Hello, Momodou, you said:

Many thanks for your kind comments. And yes, the erosion of religious
tolerance is something to really worry about. [Just yesterday, at a
grill party here in Stockholm, many sisters recounted their own
experiences of how dress codes are becoming sources of friction in many
families. I also learnt that incidents of local, petty conflicts between
muslims and catholics on the issue of disturbance especially during
Ramadan - when muslims do "nafila" at night - is more widespread than I
thought].

     Could you please elaborate further?  How is the dress code changing?
What do you mean by disturbances?  How and why is religious tolerance
eroding in The Gambia?  If this is the case, I find it very sad, really...

     I just found your comments interesting.  Could it be that Jammeh is
using religion as a divisive mechanism as he seems to be using triblaims?
How sad really.  It's like the guy can't win, obviously, with the Gambian
economy in shambles, and his government a mess.  So the only way he can win
is to divide the people.  Or am I misunderstanding something?

Ginny

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい