GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lamine Conteh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 18 Nov 2000 02:27:43 -0500
Comrades:

I have been consistently staying away from participating in our struggle
against the dictatorship in The Gambia.  It is 1:14 AM and I'm still unable
to sleep because of  concern of my mother's diagnosis with high-blood
pressure. It is incumbent upon me to do some soul-searching.  I am
convinced that I cannot hide this from fellow comrades, who have been
friends and soldiers of concern about the political instability in The
Gambia.

Politics aside, we are family whose ideals and inspirations will have
lasting effects in our struggle for a free Gambia.  For those of us who
have unshaken distaste for the dictatorship, we have to evaluate between
seeing family and our continued onslaught against the dictatorship.  I have
spoken lengthily with my mother and have consistently reiterated that I
cannot let go my desire for a free Gambia.  This is not a difficult task
to make, and I'm sure there are countless Gambians who wish to see their
love ones back home.

I remember vividly in high school reading about the struggle of the members
of the African National Congress.  I also remember meeting some refugees
from then Rhodesia who found new homes in The Gambia because of the
instability in their country.  Around our corner of West Africa, we have
seen continued instability in Sierra Leone, Liberia, Nigeria, Ivory Coast
and etc..  Our parents hoped for us to do better, and as such envisioned an
African society that is committed to inherent political rights and
responsibilities.  Our journey to democracy should not be blocked by our
individual  personal satisfactions.

I have been worried about the sudden change of events in The Gambia,
particular those bereaved families who have lost loved ones.  I remember
the smiles of Mr. Jerreba Bojang of Brikama, the kindness of Mr. Surahata
Janneh, and others who we can no longer seek counsel from.  This is an
immense task that we in the struggle must continue and hope and pray that
one day we can appreciate those fine days that we took for granted.

It is also indeed worth appreciating knowing people, especially former
co-workers who still call you friends.  My thanks and appreciation are to
Ms. Fatou Gaye of the Trust Bank in The Gambia, who still tells my mother
that I'm her friend.  I hope one day I can hug this nice lady, who I
remember was very shy when she first came to work in the foreign exchange
section of the then Gambia Commercial and Development Bank.  She would
always ask me: "Conteh, why are you the first to come to work and the last
to leave?" Comrades, those were the days when we could move around The
Gambia without been subjugated into intimidation and fascist style
dictatorship.  Thanks to Mr. M. Olley M'Boge, Serrigne and Amy Jarjusey,
Mr. Bamba Laye Jallow and Mr. Bah for the address of the Trust Bank, Ltd..
It is amazing that street names have changed in Banjul and must admit that
my former economic street has been changed from Leman Street to Ecowas
Drive.  Comrades,I have been away too longer, but I cannot compromise
anything for a free and democratic Gambia.

I am glad that I have reached the conclusion in getting this grieve over
me.  I will be okay, and I hope our task for a free Gambia will not be
stalled by our individual achievements against the silent majority in our
country.

Naphiyo,

Comrade Muhammad Lamine Jassey-Conteh

--- Lamine Conteh