GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Saikou Samateh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Aug 2000 21:54:44 +0100
To be very honest I did promised myself  not to returned to this issue again,but it will be wrong not to voiced out at this stage of the discussion that any attempt to rewrite history will always end in a failure.The 30 years of the brutal PPP regime is a history that no one can change or even make it look anyway pretty,it is a dirty history,the last page of this history will be written by bringing all those responsible to justice.
To start from the beginning,our People struggle to free them selves,they trusted the PPP but became more enslaved,the PPP replaced colonial brutality with their own brutality,for Jawara the Gambian became his personal property,"My People and My country."
The democracy and human rights records  of the PPP that has been paraded here these days in my opinion is become more and more a bluff and not in line with what I have witness in that small country.Demba Jawo will not deny here that his first arrest and detention as a journalist did not start with the PPP regime,like many of his colleagues.Dixson colley was many times arrested ,detained and twice appeared before court for charges of sedition.Ba was first sent to prison as a journalist before he became an apologist for the PPP regime,PDOIS (Forooya)was barred many times from attending press conferences at the State house under the PPP regime.Fabakary Taal ,a student,was arrested and detained for been a critical student journalist,Gibril Faal one time informed me that he was informed that I was blacklist from attending government press conferences by the department of information,etc etc press freedom was no agenda under the PPP regime,I could go on with so many of such stories,but let us moved on to other things.
The Gambia Workers Union,under the leadership of M.E.Jallow,played an important role in the independent struggle of the Gambia,they were never banned by the colonial masters,not so,but for more than eight years this union was banned just for raising issues and fighting for the interest of poor workers.Even Liberal democrats will agree with me that workers have a right to a union,not so.
Dumo Saho was just a political activist,the number of arrest and torture he experienced under the PPP regime,believed me ,I cannot count,not to talk of other political activist.How many farmers were arrested ,detained,torture for been members of the NCP ,I will never be able to count.School children were arrest and detained for been a member of a South African solidarity organisation called the Gambia anti apartheid movement,just imagine this,under the democratic rule of the the PPP regime,not so ?A Sierra Leonian who was there teacher had to be smuggled out of the country whiles the security agents were looking for him for another arrest and detention.The PPP thugs that were known in Badibu and elsewhere,entering villages and torturing innocent farmers for belonging to the opposition party,might be forgotten by those who are choosing to do so,but not for poor and innocent farmers like Sankung Jadama of Badibu Mandory.
The first time a life bullet was fired at a student demonstration was under the PPP regime,this was as recent as in 1987,fortunately and fortunately the students ran way,no one was murdered at the Serrekunda Highway,history repeated itself and this time an open and brutal murder.
Lets move to July 1981,it is said here that it was great that Senegalese forces invaded the Gambia,but not so great for those who have their people buried in mass grave,no decent burials,history repeated it self at Youndum Army Barracks,not so.The Senegalese occupationist forces,who did not hate them for been arrogant occupying forces in our country ?they made it theirs and traumatised our minds and nation,any body who want to applauded this dirty history is a betrayer of his country and people,his conscience,in a sorry state of affairs.There is no doubt that what they did against our people,even at peace time,as occupations forces will never be forgotten,it is also part of our history.
Jawara,will not take any more chances,with our little resources,he was no more satisfy with going to London  playing golf,whiles our hard working people starved,now he has to build an army to oppress our people.He built up the army and Jammeh was born,Chongan was born,Samsudin  Sarr was born,Mbaba Jobe was born and many more,there names are history.He sent them to Turkey,to London,to Pakistan etc,and then to Liberia,some died ands others survive he mourned their deaths after their arrival and those who survived never saw their monies.I remember walking in the Streets of London with Suaebou Camara,a close friend of Joe Sambou,a Liberian veteran,he said to me that the day he meet with Jawara in the Street of London he will go for a fight,not because of the money but the trauma and the betrayal,those who were in Liberia could tell better.But first Jawara felt out with the occupations,the Senegalese forces.Then he brought the Nigerians,a leader who is in constant search for military forces to ocuppay his country must have been very insecure but these are all history that are today been paraded as the great democratic days many are missing.
Just don't forget the NIA.He brought the CIA to train them as to how to intimidate his citizens who prefer to think different,they bought torturing machines and used it and these machines are still in use,they were without doubt meant for Dumo and others but now for them and him,is OJ not a lucky person,they are not using these machines against him that his government bought with tax payers money to torture her peaceful citizens.He has no right to cry for me the day I became a victim of these machines and I will not cry for for him because it was his government that bought them and used it against my friends and now meant for him and me.Is this not the same Oj who went to Bakau and registered youths like Samba janneh(now leaving in Oslo)who together with  his friends went to Serrekunda East and voted for him and he won the elections ?here are our big democrats.
When fascist turned democrats want  to make our history look like a lovely funny past it is provocation.If the PPP regime did not do what APRC government did and or is doing,what has the APRC government do that the PPP under Jawara is not capable of doing,you cannot tell by their history.I will not mention a word about the corruption of that regime or how our Commercial Bank was ruined  but those who entered high schools because of who they were have a different experience with those who have to get their mothers and fathers carry chairs and desks on their heads to their schools,after decades of independence.
It is time to forge an alliance that will be paving a new way for our country and not wasting our time discussing about people whom we have only one thing to discuss with and that is,the day day they will be brought to justice.Call this rhetoric  or what ever you want.Jabou life is very short,never forget the past so easily.

For Freedom
Saiks