GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Thomas Forster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 10:56:49 +1200
Dear Partner,

The uniqueness of our message is in the fact that we investigate the root
cause of our current,catastrophic situation,trace it to our current level of
development and prescribe solutions.Without proper diagnosis of a
problem,there can never be a right prescription to solve the problem and
this has been the miserable story of Africa.We African's have always looked
up to the outside world to solve our problems and that has been our worst
blunder.The western nations and all their agencies they masquerade behind to
re-colonise us,have not got the slightest clue to understanding our
chronic,multi-faceted and highly complex problems and thus,cannot prescribe
any suitable liberation formula.It is only Africans who can understand and
solve the African problem.

The first generation of African leaders came out very strong with powerful
declarations of independence and african emancipation which heightened the
hopes as well as aspirations of every African.These declarations seemed very
bright as to prospect but turned out very  disappointing as to result.What
our fathers failed to realise is that independence or emancipation is not
attained by declarations alone.It is achieved through a developmental
process because,emancipation is a process of growth,which begins as one
walks painfully away from the shelter of dependency into open unsheltered
terrain to map out a future.The arrogance and ignorance of our fathers
prevented them from carrying their declarations forward into putting
structures and procedural lanes on the ground to acieve their goals.It is
not what you know that kills you,but rather what you do not know.The
arrogance and ignorance of our elders have really killed us.

Historical and self-inflicted damage have resulted in the most sophisticated
form of inferiority complex and low self-esteem in our people.As a
result,our people see nothing good in themselves and about themselves to
hang around here for the change campaign.Mental Slavery and bondage have
reduced our people to the level of believing that no seed,talent,gift or
ability can be planted and nutured in our African soil as well as
environment.The result is the evidence that Africa is now a head without
brains because her brains have been drained on a stomach direction course
into development structures of nations outside the continent.The youth of
our nations who are in the greatest despair,helplessness and
hopelessness,view agriculture(especially farming) as a very
humiliating,non-progressive profession on the continent because,as the 21st
century citizens of the Information Technology world,they are still seeing
the engagement of peasant farming which is a practice of the
middle-ages.They need serious mental surgery without which any call on them
to leave the cities to engage in agricultural activity in the rural areas
will prove futile.

Partners,the people of Africa who have been betrayed by everybody are still
groaning,travailing,crying,in pain and frustration waiting for our
manifestation and action.We belong to the generation which has an obligation
to solve this potentially explosive situation.As leaders,our responsibility
does not only stop at providing direction.We need to effectively communicate
the new vision to our followers because effective communication of the
vision to our nations breeds understanding and understanding releases
commitment to supporting us achieve the desired goal.All hands and brains
are needed to clear the mess and put up new structures.Great nations were
built on individual and collective discovery as well as development of
God-given talents,gifts and abilities.The much needed change and development
we are all hoping for is resident in each one of us.It requires each
one,group and nation to identify our strengths, abilities and
potential,develop them to a marketable stage and put them at the disposal of
our united walk into the future by plugging into development opportunity.

If we want our people to break away from the stigmatised and miserable
past,we need to give them hope of a better tomorrow.

We are hope,the answer,the eye,God resident on earth and the future.LET'S
NOT FAIL OUR PEOPLE!!

CHARLES SAM
African Hope International
NASSAU-BAHAMAS

Kindly forward this message to as many people as possible.