GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 16 Oct 2003 11:51:27 +0200
From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask] ; [log in to unmask]
Cc: [log in to unmask] ; [log in to unmask]
Sent: Thursday, October 16, 2003 4:36 AM
Subject: "Kony Rebels" Kill 22 At Malwa Pub

"Kony Rebels"Kill 22 At Malwa Pub

  Email This Page

Print This Page

Visit The Publisher's Site

New Vision (Kampala)

October 15, 2003
Posted to the web October 15, 2003

Ali Mao
Kampala

They were having an evening out, drinking a local brew, malwa, when LRA rebels descended on them, killing 22 civilians.

The group of about 15 rebels struck Apalalyec market in Abako subcounty, Moroto county, Lira district, at about 8:00pm on Monday. Several other civilians were injured.

Second Lieutenant Chris Magezi, the UPDF 5th Division Public Relations officer, said yesterday that the rebels rounded up the civilians from the drinking joint and opened fire on them.

He said the injured were taken to Lira Hospital by the army.

Those killed were identified as Victorio Awongo, Alli Ongada, Jane Owong, Okwanga Aluko, Charles Opio, Jusphine Okoo, George Okabo, Consantino Okol, George Odongo and Steven Ocen.

Others were Peter Ogei, Consantino Ojuka, Adar Enyang, Peter Emolo, Opio Otim and Carolyn Awor. Six others have not yet been identified.

Abako sub-county secretary for finance Severino Otike, who witnessed the massacre, said some people were hacked with pangas.

He said they counted 20 people with serious injuries. "We still expect more deaths because the rebels abducted several people and we fear they might be killed on the way as the rebels retreat," Otike said.

"Our infantry unit in Abako are hunting for the killers," Magezi said.

He said the rebels came from the direction of Adamakan in Kaberamaido district and retreated towards Anyara after splitting in small numbers.

"We have stepped up deployment in the area as we continue to track them and ensure that the lives of the civilians are protected," Magezi said.