GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Nov 2003 17:17:02 EST
Good memories Habib, and I am laughing over here as I read this. My friends
and I tried to avoid "gatey baye" by all means whenever we managed to escape to
the movies, which was not often. Too many ndongos.
Actually, Momodou Lamin Sedat Jobe was viewed by some of us as some sort of a
revolutionary figure back in our GHS days when he and others led a student
boycott while he was head boy and we were in form 2 or 3. Funny I don't even
remember what it was we were protesting about, but we thought it rather
courageous and were quite energized to lend our support even though  we in the lower
forms were terrified of the Principle and staff like Mrs Cole and co. We felt
pretty good about ourselves afterwards and thought we had accomplished somethign
great even though I think they got into big trouble and the rest of us got
the usual threats of expulsion etc.which was enough to keep us quiet once and
for all.

Jabou Joh