GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Apr 2001 00:12:37 EDT
In a message dated 4/4/2001 3:10:04 PM Central Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Speaking to our reporter, Mr. Yusuf stated that IEC is studying
> modalities to make this possible and is currently working closely with
> the Department of Foreign Affairs who would provide an appraisal of the

***************************
I wonder how the department of foreign affairs  can determine the
concentration of Gambians abroad, or what exactly this statement means. Do
they mean which areas has the highest concentration of Gambians, and how
would they know this? It's not as if the Gambian embasies abroad pay much
attention to Gambians resident in their areas of jurisdiction. I guess they
can go by the number of passports issued, but even this does not give them
any information about where the particular passport holder went when they
left the Gambia.

Seems to me, the people who can tell them about Gambians abroad are the
Gambians abroad if this is actually important.
If the IEC is working to put a process in motion whereby Gambians abroad can
vote, all they need to do is get on with it, without making these meaningless
statements about gathering information, and engaging in the senseless
assesments. Gambians abroad should be able to vote even if they are one in a
particular country abroad.

As to the carrying around of drums or whatever, surely this cannot be the
only way to count a vote. The important thing here is who counts it, and
whether it will be done acurately and without tampering. I suggest they do
the voting at the embassies, but that there be independent monitors who can
witness the voting and the counting before entrusting the staff of the
various embassies with the results.

I commend the IEC for at least taking the initial steps to let Gambians
abroad exercise our constitutional rights to vote, but I hope it does not get
bogged down with unnecesary protocol until the most important aspect of this
gets lost in the process, which is to just make it possible for every Gambian
abroad, wherever they may be,to cast a vote on election day. If they need
help, I am sure there are many of us Gambians abroad who are more than
willing to facilitate the process for them if they really mean wht they are
saying. It is not rocket science.

Jabou Joh