GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 9 Aug 2003 11:36:21 EDT
Brothers Sidibeh & Jasseh-Conteh,

Thank you for continuing to add your voice to the appeal to have this effort
for Gambians in the Diaspora contribute towards a unified opposition coalition
in the 2006 elections opened up to all Gambians in the Diaspora who want to
participate, as opposed to having it turned into a private club where some can
participate and those cannot. That clearly defines what the effort should be
about.
However, as unbelievable as this may seem, it si begining to look like  our
appeals have fallen on deaf ears, and are being outright ignored despite  the
fact that we say we are trying to unseat a dictatorship.

At any rate, perhaps those who have decided to exclude the participation of
all interested Gambians have an unwritten mandate to speak for us, make
decisions for us regarding what our concerns are vis a vis our country, and they will
also see to it that this effort will be a success without the imput of
Disaporans in general. Perhaps they will also make a decision to vote for us should
it become reality that Disaporans are allowed  to vote.

It will be interesting to also see if the opposition parties on the ground
will be satisfied to accept representations on behalf fo Diasporans that did not
emanate from any imput by the general body of disaporans.

One hopes that another effort for a united opposition coalition which so many
Gambians are placing their hopes upon  will not fall by the wayside again
because of what i have now come to see as our inability to be able to engage in
anything that involves the allowance of full participation by all.
I surely hope that I am wrong in this assesment, so like Jesse Jackson says,
"let's keep hope alive"
Jabou Joh