GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Katim S. Touray" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jan 2001 00:30:14 -0800
Hi folks,

For those of you interested in space matters, you might still be able to see the
Russian space station, Mir, by checking when it's going to fly over your area.
You can do this at the Heavens-Above Web site at http://www.heavens-above.com

You enter your local coordinates directly or check out their database of
locations in different countries.  You will be presented with flyby info to
enable you see (with your naked eyes), not only Mir, but also a number of
spacecrafts such as the International Space Station (ISS), and the Hubble
Telescope.  The site also has a lot of information about the orbits of
satellites, and all kinds of neat stuff.  I'm yet to be able to see a satellite
myself, because of lousy weather we've been having here, but some of you might
be luckier than I am.  And, if you have friends who are space fans, they might
even have telescopes to make the experience even more fun.

By the way, you might need some little background reading on the site to get a
feel for finding the right part of the sky to search, but it's not really that
bad.  I think the rewards would be well worth the effort.  Also, there are links
to other sites (http://www.heavens-above.com/links.asp) from the heavens-above
site, and you might say that the site opens up the heavens above.

Enjoy!

Katim