GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Haruna Darbo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jun 2008 19:39:30 EDT
Generally, the health of our teeth depend to a large extent on our diet and
to a lesser but equally significant extent on genetics and regular
maintenance.  The indigenous African diet consists of un-processed food and a significant
 amount of roughage. This makes for strong gums and teeth if unsculpted. The
cosmetics is not of as much interest to me as dental health. Sorry veneers,
caps, etc. are not my thing. But mind you I have beautiful teeth. Just so you
single ladies know.

Anyways the food of the new Africans and transplanted Africans consists of  a
lot of processed foods, sugars, and not much roughage. This presents
favourable conditions for bacterial growth between our teeth and gums and in  that
ever so small pad on top of our molars especially the lower wisdom teeth.  If we
do not maintain regular cleaning routines, bacteria and plaque can
accumulate in these breeding grounds.

We generally do not worry about our teeth until they develop an abcess or
have a hole in them. By the way, most dentists have done away with metal
fillings for composites or ceramics. So if you have a hole in your tooth and the
dentist wishes to insert metal fillings in there, he very well could be from
Gujarat. You are advised to seek dental work elsewhere.

Unsightly stains can come from cocoa (coffee), kolanuts, or nicotine among
others. You must understand though that you do not schedule tooth cleaning
because of these stains. Crest white strips or iWhite kit from Remedent
(belgium) is adequate.

For stains, plaque, and other bacteria, use a spoonful of hydrogen  peroxide,
mouthwash (listerine), and antibacterial soap in a cup of  water and brush
twice daily - once before going to sleep and once when you  wake up. NOT FOR
KIDS PLEASE. Some dentists suggest a water pick but at  $40.00 a pop, this may be
out of the reach of many. The idea behind a water pick  is to apply the
elixir described above with a comfortable pressure pick  between the gumline and
the teeth. The sensation is exhilarating but brushing  will yield similar
results.

I have come across another landscaping project that I'm sure you will
appreciate. I will share that under separate cover.

Thank you one and all and happy chewing!
Masoud. MQJGDT. Al mutawakkil. No Sebutoo and no baking soda.  Please.

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい