GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ebrima Ceesay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Oct 2001 19:56:26 +0000
Gambia-L:

I am forwarding the unedited e-mail below on behalf of Sister Jabou whose
has exhausted her quota for the day. For the record: It is was not sister
Jabou who sent the unpleasant private e-mails to me. The private e-mails
actually came from The Gambia.

Ebrima

>From: [log in to unmask]
>To: [log in to unmask] (Ebrima Ceesay)
>Subject: Re: "asobis"/ Ebrima & sources
>Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2001 15:39:09 EDT
>
>Ebrima,
>
>Kindly forward this email to the L for me as my quota for the day is
>exhausted.
>
>Thanks.
>Jabou

Ebrima Ceesay & sources.

Ebrima, first, for the record, I am not one of the people who sent you any
private mails on this issue. If i wanted ot attack you for anything, i would
have picked up the phone and yell at you, but not for the purpose of
defending Yaya Jammeh.

I did not send my commentary to kindle a quarrel or to send a wrong message
about Darboe, but to ask for clarification on his part because Yaya Jammeh
has continuously  threatended civil servants with firing them, and if Darboe
says this, then it needs to be absolutely clear how he is capable of doing
this  and the context under which he made the statement and why. Very
important in view of what the civil service has endured under this regime.

His statements are for general consumption at a very frightening and
insecure time for our people, and if i was not aware of thelaws that allow
him to fire civil servants because they displayed party affiliations ON THE
JOB, then you can imagine how many others do not know of this provision, not
that I am an expert on anything mind you.

It goes without saying that most of us can guess that the open display of
party affiliations by civil servants such as wearing of "asobis" on the job
would probably be prohibited, but this statement did not actually say where
the "asobis" were worn, an important piece of information that is absolutley
essential, and the inclusion of which would have avoided the questions
raised, and  which was understood only after Haruna Darboe gave an
explanation of this provision.

Therefore, you can see the need for clarification of such a statement so
that it will not sound like another threat similar to Jammeh's many threats
and which would be definitley cause for concern for Gambians, as I clearly
pointed out in my respons..

I have always valued the contribution of your sources as have many on this
list. Yes, it is true that no Gambian papers have carried the report on the
burning of the ministry of local government, and infact, i called Gambia
yesterday, and was totally surprsed to be told that this news was not even
reported on the television. No doubt, another Jammeh cover up. The people I
spoke with said it was just a rumour they heard from a person or two.

Amazing.

Equally, your sources may have known that these civil servants were using
government vehicles and resources to campaign for the ARPC,  but those of us
not on the ground are not privy to this information like he is. If one is on
the ground and witnesses perhaps all of these actions by the said civil
servants on the job or using government resources to promote the APRC, and
that these "asobis" were worn on the job, then that is completely different
in view of the explanation rendered by Haruna Darboe.

Your sources need to be careful and make this distincrion so as not to
discredit Darboe of any candidate they quote. That is all, and tell them to
keep the info. coming.

Jabou Joh