GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 14 Aug 2001 21:28:11 EDT
This article by far is the most thoughtful opinion piece I have ever read on
a Gambian newspaper. Deliberate and at the same time nuanced, Mr Jabbi has
managed to paint a sad but very true portrait of why we have a failed nation.
I wholeheartedly agree with him that honesty both in our institutional setup
and in our daily dealings would constitute the foundation of our efforts to
build a better nation. He is also right that an honest businessman who
insists on playing by the rules risk courting failure in our bribe ridden
mode of operation. We must expunge from our national psyche our
predisposition for laziness, corruption and affinity for expedience. We must
also demand and work for competent leadership and craft a system that would
be strong and durable enough to filter out potential hindrances to our
national well-being.
    Finally I'd like to congratulate the Independent Newspaper for providing
a forum for a very thoughtful gentleman to lend his wisdom to a very vexing
public policy question. I hope they continue their fine tradition of both
professionally reporting the news and occasionally bringing their diverse
readers human interest and oped pieces.
Karamba