GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Oct 2001 12:34:25 -0400
Hamjatta, allow me to go further and say that the whole country (except
Foni) is for PRESIDENT DARBOE. Samba Faal’s and Tombong’s pathetic attempts
to spread untruth through Observer (APRC Daily) is yet another manifestation
of the desperation of these people. I thank you for showing them that Yaya
CANNOT win Banjul. The ISSUES that affect Banjul are NOT in Yaya’s favor.
That is a sound basis for political punditry. One does NOT just wake up like
mental midgets like Tombong, Fatoumatta Jahumpa and Samba Faal, and say that
Yaya is going to win with a landslide. That conclusion has to be premised on
sound grounds.

Earlier on this week I alluded to this ‘Oko-marabout’ meeting in Banjul
organized by Kofi-Harris. The meeting was a total flop. This so-called
well-attended rally they are talking about, attracted less than 100 people.
Contrast that with the Alliance rally that attracted (thousands) crowds at
‘Tati-Park’ from Primet to Ingram (under the rain). Of course the people of
Banjul are NOT going to vote for Banjul. They suffered the brunt of
AFPRC/APRC misrule and brutality. The dismemberment of the civil service
affected more families in the urban area. The massacre of our children
affected more families in the urban area. The flamboyance and corruption of
the AFPRC/APRC (from ill-gotten gains) is more visible to people in the
urban area. People in the urban area know that the streets of Banjul were
paved before Yaya stole power. The vermin CANNOT steal those ‘projects’.
When price of fuel goes up because the government increased the tax on fuel,
it is the urbanites that feel it most. Only slaves in the urban area will
follow Yaya around and sing his praises. And I can tell you that some of
these people will NOT even vote for Yaya when they are in the lonely
confines of the voting booth. Some of these people are just opportunists
that are too scared to dissociate themselves from Yaya. I can guarantee you
that people that know Samba Faal well will tell you that when they talk to
Faal, he tells them that he is NOT an APRC fanatic. This man evinced the
same loyalty for James Gomez (former mayor of Banjul) as he is parading for
Yaya now. These people have very shaky principles. Clearly, Yaya CANNOT win
on the ISSUES.

But moving from Banjul up country. Yaya will be lucky to poll 20% in URD.
Hamjatta, reports reaching us say that when Darboe arrived at Dampha Kunda
(at 2 a.m.) there were throngs waiting to welcome him at that LATE hour.
Darboe was overwhelmed by the support and almost wept. Brother, Yaya is
FINISHED. Although the Alliance was prevented from going further into URD
because of alleged ferry problems, there is NO DOUBT that URD is Darboe
Country. I pause here to note a pattern with this ‘ferry problem’ business.
There were reports that Hamat Bah could NOT make the crossing because the
ferry had a problem. Now the Alliance CANNOT make the crossing because the
ferry had a problem. I hope this is NOT a deliberate ploy by Yaya stooges at
the ferry to prevent Opposition leaders from campaigning like the Jolas are
preventing people from campaigning in Foni.

This CANNOT stop the momentum for change in URD. Brother, the ‘benevolent
Yaya’ gave 200 thousand dalasis (D200,000) to one village in URD. The wise
villagers accepted the money knowing that it actually belonged to them in
the first place and then turn around and gave the money to the Alliance. The
message the villagers sent to Yaya is that they do NOT need ‘his money’. Our
people need FREEDOM. People need for Yaya and his thugs to stop holding the
country hostage.

Yaya is also FINISHED in LRD. Although he ‘gave’ D45,000 to voters in LRD,
the people will REPUDIATE him on October 18, 2001. This BRIBERY will NOT
work. The fundamental problems of our farmers CANNOT be taken care of by
these hand-outs. Since Yaya has lost the battle up country, let us see what
he is going to manage in the Kombos. I understand that one million dalasis
(out of his nine million dalasis war-chest) has been earmarked for the
Kombos. I say to the people of Kombo, do like your brothers and sisters in
URD. Take the money knowing that it is yours to begin with. BUT NEVER vote
for him because of the money.

In order to anticipate the LIES of Yaya’s propaganda machinery about the
turn-outs at their rallies, I respectfully urge Alliance supporters to have
envoys at these rallies to guage the ‘crowds’. I heard that the people of
Sanyang said that when Yaya comes to town, they would go to the beach for a
picnic and NOT attend his rally. I say to them, leave some few folks behind
to tell us how many bus-loads Yaya brought to town from Foni.

You move from Sanyang to Gunjur and word is that the APRC chairman in the
region has resigned from his post. Such defections prompted Yaya to declare
openly that he trusts no one except TWO chiefs (Alhaji Tabora Manneh and
Eric Tunde Janneh). Mind you, he hand-picked most of these chiefs and was
relying heavily on their support. Now he is saying that he does NOT trust
any chief in the country.

Hamjatta, as you can tell, Yaya is FINISHED. Now the hostage-taker is held
hostage by vested interests surrounding him. I sincerely believe that left
to Yaya alone, he would bolt. He believes he has enough money to lead a
‘flamboyant’ lifestyle in Cuba. But if he bolts what would people like
Edward Singhateh, Yankuba Touray, Tombong, Fatoumatta Jahumpa etc., do?
KB