GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
momodou olly-mboge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jul 2000 15:45:18 GMT
Mr Jassey-Conteh,

Thank you very much for the spirit in which you convey your response.  I
humbly say to you that, i totally agree to your prescription to the
dictatorship: UNITY. A good and professional doctor always looks after the
welfare of his/her patients.

However, i still do think your questions to Halifa have been answered some
time ago.  It was the same issue raised by Hamjatta.
No sane person disputes the fact that UNITY is the key to defeating this
evil(Yahya and CO.) that hangs over head.  PDOIS had indicated that they are
ready for a coalition with the UDP and any other political party to get rid
of the APRC.  This coalition PDOIS believes is only practical if there is a
second round of voting.  It is only fair for PDOIS and to those of us who
support the party to seek a mandate directly from the GAmbian voters.  If we
fail to gain the support required to form a government, then i think this
will be the time when a coalition is needed.

As i understand in your postings you are insisting on PDOIS to join together
with the other parties in the first round.  There are bound to be problems.
One of which might be who shall be the figure to lead the coalition.  How
can the parties reconcile their diametrically opposing policies on economics
etc.
The precedence set by Senegal is very interesting.  However, it is obvious
that Niasse and the orders came together on very clear terms.

PDOIS never shied away from addressing the issue of coalition with other
parties.  During the first republic under Mr JAwara, the party initiated
talks with NCP and GPP but they got muted answers.  In 1997 they invited the
UDP to talk about a common stance but nothing happened.  Mr Darboe intimated
about a coalition but he never told us on what terms.  I respect Darboe very
much but i do not see him as someone with very clear policies to address the
needs of the GAmbian people.  I have no doubt about his intergrity and
commitment to freedom.  I just do not concur to the confrontational and
rhetorical manner of the UDP.

I stand to be educated on better ways in delivering my people from despair
and despondency.

Good Day my comrade in arms,  Gambia shall be free.  No doubt about that.
We deserve better.

Peace,

Mboge