GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Jun 2000 12:34:51 EDT
Ebrima, thanks again for the invaluable contribution you and your sources
are bringing to this struggle. It is about time the Gambian civil servants
stand up for what is right. If Yaya and his bunch of thieves still want to
go ahead and torture children, rape women, and empty government coffers, the
decent civil servants should have no part in that. Pap Cheyassin will be
disgraced out of office just like Fafa mbye, Marong, Hawa Ceesay, Musa
Bittaye, and Fatou Nyang. The position this government wants to take cannot
be reconciled with the law by the best legal minds in the world, let alone
the attorneys that were appointed by Yaya. These were attorneys who could
not measure up to heavyweights like Ousman Sillah, Ousainou Darbo, Antouman
Gaye, etc. in the private bar. These were attorneys that cannot be regarded
as success stories in their profession. They did not go to hostile
environments like the California Bar and do as Edi Faal did. You need the
genius of people like Sillah, Darbo, Gaye, Faal to even try to defend some
of the indefensible positions of this government. Am not even sure whether
these people will succeed with some of the ridiculous positions this
government takes. They are going to lose to Alimenta again. Pap Cheyassin
knows that. They are up against a brilliant team of lawyers that have
defeated them in every court or arbitration forum they have been so far.
Apart from the legal defeats that are very costly (in terms of cash) to the
Gambian people, Yaya and his gang are dealing with one of the most powerful
groundnut buyers in the world. They have used their muscle in the past and
would not hesitate to use it again to sabotage our groundnut harvest. So why
fight a losing battle? The government should not have put us in that mess in
the first place. We need to get rid of these people and bring an end to all
this madness. That way, we will be able to put money in the pockets of our
farmers and allow them to earn a decent living. What is worst than toiling
in the farms the whole rainy season just to watch your sweat go in vain?
KB