GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 17 Dec 2007 22:33:20 EST
Foroyaa Newspaper Burning Issues Issue No. 148, 17 – 18 December  2007
Editorial

16th December Can Never Be Forgotten
Freedom of expression is what  distinguishes slaves from free persons,
sovereign persons from subjects. The  right to information is the foundation of the
principle of transparency and  accountability. How will an auditor perform his
or her duty if one did not have  the right to information from accounting
officers. How will judges make  decisions if they did not have the right to
information from those who are to  give evidence. How can citizens make informed
choice, if they do not have the  right to information. A democratic people must
be an informed people. This is  why section 25 subsection 1 (a) states “Every
person shall have a right to  freedom of speech and expression, which shall
include freedom of the press and  other media”
This simply means that all citizens can communicate their  opinions through
the media and run media facilities of their own. Political  parties, religious
groups, trade unions, women organisations, youth groups,  cultural groups and
so on and so forth could establish their own organs of  communication to
express their opinions.
The constitution did not stop there.  It went further to charge professional
media practitioners with the  responsibility to make those in the service of
the public accountable. Section  207 subsection (3) reads as follows: “The
press and other information media  shall at all times, be free to uphold the
principles, provisions and objectives  of this constitution, and the responsibility
and accountability of the  government to the people of the Gambia”
Deyda sought to create an umpire  media establishment, which did not ally
itself with any interest group but  sought to monitor and expose whatever was
harmful to the public interest. He  could not be an enemy to anyone who was just
and upright. The just and upright  can never be afraid of scrutiny. Such
people will always be able to fight  malicious propaganda with the power of the ink
and the pen or the power of the  sound bite. Who felt threatened by Deyda to
have the audacity to play the role  of a god and terminated his life with
impunity?
Where is the power of the  person who hides and does what criminals do every
day? Which decent person will  be proud to live with blood in his hands? How
can a person eat with such hands  and embrace one’s children knowing that you
have terminated the life of  another’s father. On Sunday 16th December, Deyda
again turned in his grave to  ask the living: What type of a society will
create self appointed prosecutors  and judges who sentence innocent persons to
death without charge or trial. That  type of society belongs to the era of
barbarism and every civilised human being  should be filled with outrage and that
public outcry should be heard from  pulpits and platforms and all of us should
declare an end to impunity in unison.  Like Deyda, the murderers will one day
return to the earth. Unlike him, they  will live daily in fear not knowing when
their own deeds will catch up with  them. Death is a necessary end .It comes
to us all, the saint as well as the  villain. That we must die is obvious. What
we should be concerned with is what  we live for and what we die for. Those
who die for justice will never be  forgotten. In fact they do not die abruptly.
They continue to live in the hearts  and minds of the living. On the
anniversary of his death Foroyaa joins the whole  nation to ask; Who killed Deyda
Hydara?

Deyda Still Lives   On
Friends and relatives gathered in Bakau  to commemorate the third anniversary
of the death of  their husband,  father, brother, sister, uncle, friend, etc.
Amongst the large crowd were a good  number of media personnel. After the
recitation of the Qur’an and prayers,  speeches were delivered honouring him and
in defence of what he stood for.  Deyda’s corpse may have been buried but his
spirit is very much alive.
First  Week of Trade Season
Not a Good Beginning
The 2007/2008 trade season,  scheduled to officially commence on Monday 10
December, 2007 has not started  well. . Virtually nothing is going on at places
visited by our reporters, who  have been out and about in all the regions of
the country to find out what has  been happening at the ‘seccos’ (buying
points). We have published the reports  from some of the regions in this issue and
we shall publish the rest in the next  issue.
Western Region
By Modou Jonga
Despite the official announcement  of the commencement of the 2007/8
groundnut season by the Department of State  for Agriculture, numerous groundnut
buying points in the Western Region, locally  called ‘seccos’, have not still
started operating.
This reporter visited two  groundnut selling points in the Kombos and two in
the Fonis on Friday 14  December, 2007. The buying point at Ndemban, in the
Foni Bintang Distric,t was  still  uncleared and unhygienic. The centre is
infested with weeds and  there is, apparently, no sign of prospective groundnut
buying for this  year.
Speaking to this reporter, Modou Lamin, noted that he was yet  to  transport
his nuts from the field and had expressed doubts over the success  of  this
year’s groundnut season. The buying point at Bwiam, in the Foni  Kansala
district, also looked similar to the one in Ndemban. The centre was not  cleared and
is showing  no sign of preparation  for any prospective  groundnut trading.
At both Brikama and Gunjur, in  Kombo Central and  South, respectively, the
buying points there  were not cleared and no  buying was taking place. A
resident of Gunjur, remarked that, as at now, there  is no selling and buying of
groundnuts.

Groundnut  ‘Seccos’ Yet To Operate In Badibou
By Fabakary B.  Ceesay
Since the announcement by the Agribusiness Service and Producer’s
Association (ASPA) that December 10 would be the commencement of the groundnut  trade
season for 2007/2008, farmers in Badibou said they are yet to see any sign  of a
prospective trade season. They explained that they have not seen any buying
agent or company preparing a secco for groundnut marketing.
Farmers in  No-Kunda, in Upper Badibou, told this reporter that they are yet
to sell their  produce. They said many are taking their groundnuts across the
border  to  sell them at Senegalese villages.
A farmer in Minteh Kunda, said it is of no  use to announce the price of
groundnut and to give a specific date for buying  when there is no mechanism in
place for buying it.
Farmers in Njaba Kunda  expressed their doubts regarding ASPA’s commitment to
honour its declaration.  They indicated that since the announcement of the
trade season, they have not  set their eyes on a single buyer or an interested
person. They questioned the  significance of the increment of D700 on the
groundnut price when their produce  would not be bought. The frustrated farmers
said they escort their nuts to  Senegal to sell  them at a low price due to
economic problems. They also  lamented about the low production of groundnuts this
season.  In Mandory  and Salikenn,  the farmers there, who  share the same
secco,   also expressed their doubts over the announcement of the date the trade
season  is to commence, when, to them ,the  clerks are not available. They
said  that they do not even bother to clear the secco. They noted that this year’
s  groundnut production is low; but that they were hoping their produce will
be  bought as announced. They said they are still waiting for buyers to come
forward; that they hope that this season would not be like last year’s. They
draw attention to the plight of many poor farmers who have no other means of
earning than farming and who do not have any immediate relative abroad who will
 be able to buy Tobaski rams and gifts for their families.
Farmers in Kerr  Pateh said many of them and those in the satellite villages
are selling their  nuts at the lumos to make ends meet, explaining that they
have no choice. They  said they have to provide food and clothing for their
families, especially the  school going children. Farmers call on the department
responsible to take their  plight seriously, and not to make them a laughing
stock.

NAMS REACT  TO THE 2008 BUDGET
By Bubacarr K. Sowe
Although the Secretary of State  for Finance and Economic Affairs, Musa
Gibril Bala-Gaye, in his 2008 budget  speech, on Friday, said the Gambian economy
has a growth rate of 7 percent, the  realization of the new trend by the
ordinary person has been questioned by  politicians.
Sidia Jatta, the National Assembly Member for Wuli West, said  the
fundamental question the government needs to answer is whether any nation  can develop
by depending mainly on taxation.
‘However good the economy of a  country maybe, if it is dependent mainly on
tax, I think there is still a  problem,’ Horourable Jatta opined.
He added that the SoS did not say anything  on the need to increase salaries,
particularly the pensioners, some of whom are  earning only D80 or D100 a
month.
‘After having worked all their lives  serving this country, they are earning
only hundred dalasis a month and there is  still no attempt to address that
fundamental question for survival. There is a  problem,’ the Wuli West NAM
argued.
Mr. Jatta said it is a self-contradiction  for the government to claim
significant growth when the lives of the poor people  are not improving.
He said: ‘Any economy that enjoys growth, is buoyant, and  necessarily has to
have improved living condition for the people but we don’t  have that here. I
am told that the price of flour is gone up to over D800   per bag.
Consequently the price of bread has also gone up. And now you are  telling me inflation
is under control.’
Also reacting to the budget speech,  Lamin Ceesay, the NAM for Sami
constituency, told reporters that the government  needs to reduce its expenditure on
things such as allowance, which could have  been used to eradicate poverty
‘Everybody knows that a tax based economy is  not sustainable. We have to
diversify our economy. Without that nothing can  change.’
He argued that there should be a need to scale up the productive  sector of
the economy in order to have a healthy economy.
The majority leader  and member for Serrekunda East, Fabakary Tombong Jatta,
said about 89% of the  government revenue is generated by either direct or
indirect tax, and 11% is  from non-tax.
‘But it is a known fact that the Gambia is a tax based economy.  We need to
plough back money into the productive sector, … as we anticipate our  petroleum
product for instance and the redirection of the Department of State  for
Agriculture to NADA. In the years to come, we will begin to generate revenue  from
other productive sectors than only from the domestic tax,’ Honourable Jatta
said.
He said within a year there will be major changes in the public  service. He
also said the economic growth must reach at least a 9% growth rate  before the
ordinary person can benefit.

Ram Buyers Lament The High Cost Of Rams
By Amie Sanneh
Barely a week  before the Tobaski, “Eid-ul Adh”, ram buyers are crying over
the high cost of  sacrificial animal.
Alfusainey Drammeh, a customer who went to   Abuko  to buy a ram, described
this year’s cost of rams as very expensive.  As a family man with little
income, he said it would not be easy for people like  him. He noted that his wife
and children are waiting for him to give them money  to buy clothes and other
things for the Tobaski. “It is just confusing and this  is an obligation which
every Muslim should do,” he said.
Alfusainey, however,  called on the ram sellers to try to be reasonable and
to understand the  situation of those in his category.
Aji Rohey Jeng, also a buyer, described  the rams as expensive. She noted
that the cheap rams are the small ones, which  she said do not satisfy her as
head of a big family. She urged the ram sellers  to exercise patience and be
reasonable with their customers and not to see them  as misers. She also urged
them to reduce their prices and make them affordable  to the poor.
Other buyers who spoke to this reporters, such as Aji Adam John  and Abdoulie
Njie also echoed similar complaints. Abdoulie expressed optimism  that buyers
will come as some do wait until the last minute.
One Banna  Susso, who was spotted bargaining with a sheep dealer, explained
that the prices  charged by sheep sellers as exorbitant, noting that the
current prices of sheep  have to be reviewed. He opined that with the sudden
appreciation of the dalasis  over foreign currencies, recently, especially the CFA,
the prices of sheep which  are mainly imported from Senegal and Mauritania
should not be unreasonably high  compared to the past years. He therefore urged
the sheep dealers to consider the  plight of poor Gambians by making their
animals affordable to the masses. Most  of the buyers appealed to the dealers to
charge reasonable prices for their rams  in the spirit of Islam.
However, the sheep dealers argued that the trade  involves a lot of risks as
some of their sheep die during transportation. They  further complained of the
high tariffs levied on them by the authorities of the  countries where the
animals are imported from. The sheep dealers advanced that  these unbearable
expenditures, coupled with other unforeseen costs that they  incurred, compel
them to sell their animals at such prices. “We would otherwise  run into losses,”
 one of them commented.
Omar Cham, who is also a ram  seller, told this reporter that  he praised God
but pointed out that things  are not going on well. He said since they
started selling the rams for the  Tobaski, he sold only one, which was on Tuesday
afternoon. Talking about the  cost of his rams, he said that the highest is at
D5, 500 and the lowest at D1,  800. He explained that customers normally
complain that they are expensive and  that the main difficulty is their inability to
sell. Cham revealed that in a  day, they give the rams three bags of hay
which cost D250 each. “We are just  investing and not selling anything,” he said.
He said that they normally  spend the night with their animals for fear of
thieves; that they bought all  their rams from Niani Wassu and transported them
up to Abuko which he said was  expensive.
Cham said that it normally costs D60 to transport a sheep, but as  the feast
of Tobaski approaches, this has increased to D150 per animal which has  an
effect on the price.
He, however, described the buyer and seller as the  same and that they should
try and come to terms. He argued that they cannot buy  a sheep in Wassu at
D2,500, pay tax, incur other expenses on the way, purchase  hay and expect it to
be sold at that same price. “We also need profit and we  depend on that for
our livelihood,” he remarked.
Momodou Jum Jallow, who has  been in the sheep business for 21 years now,
said his business is not going  well. He said they are just investing on the rams
without any gain, noting that  customers are not showing up. Jum Jallow
revealed that he buys 3 bags of hay for  the rams everyday and which costs D250 to
D300 per bag.
Commenting on the  cost of his rams, Jallow remarked that the highest  is
D12,000, while the  lowest is D2,100.
He said that they face difficulty when transporting the  sheep to Abuko,
which includes the payment of tax on the sheep.
He explained  that they are all working for one day, which is the Tobaski,
and thus called on  Muslims to exercise patience with them and try to come to
terms and  understanding without quarrelling. He noted that they also want to
realise  profit from it. He expressed optimism that customers will come noting
that they  always wait till the last minute.
But whether the small ruminant traders  incur high costs or not, as claimed
by the sheep dealers, customers believed  they are being exploited and
therefore the current prices have to be reduced to  enable the masses to afford
Tobaski ram.
REDUCE PRICES
SAYS THE COMMON  PERSON
By Amie Sanneh and Gibairu Janneh
Every single person from the  informal sector, that Foroyaa interviewed in a
round up survey, would not fail  to say that prices of goods are very high and
appeal for price  reduction.
Read on to know more in this series of interviews with people  engaged in the
informal sector regarding the performance of their businesses.  Some
employees and a house-wife were also interviewed. This can serve as a  valuable
material for the SoS for Finance.
SULAYMAN SECKA, TAILOR IN  SERREKUNDA
We are coping and trying our best in the tailoring business, as  citizens,
though its not easy.
We are happy with our customers, especially  during feasts, as we are here
because of them.
At this time, when a feast  like Tobaski is approaching, we make money but
that when it passes, difficulties  arise. The main difficulty we encounter in
our work is the high cost of  materials. This is the reason why our prices are
high and the customers keep  complaining that our goods are expensive. We,
however, don’t wish to charge our  customers high prices.
Another problem is the currency.
Despite the fact  that people are saying that the dalasi is rising, it is not
having any impact on  us, because goods are still expensive. The CFA too is
rising, which is also  making our work more difficult. Things will be better if
the CFA and Dalasi are  steady at one place.
I am satisfied with what I have, because with the little  money I earn, I can
pay my house rent and to give to my wife.
ABDOULIE JACK
MECHANIC
We are managing and everything is going on well. We do not have  problems,
except that sometimes we find some of the goods expensive. We are not  earning
much, but thank god, we are being able to solve one or two  problems.
AMADOU BARRY
SHOPKEEPER
The business is going on well but  just that things are expensive to our
customers. It is expensive because  wholesale prices are equally high and we sell
according to the prices we get the  goods at in order to make profit and
sustain our livelihood.
I am satisfied  with the business because, even though goods are expensive,
people are coming  over to buy what they need.
The way forward is for prices to come down as far  as the dalasi is rising up.
MARIAMA MBYE
VEGETABLE SELLER
Business is  not that good because customers are infrequent.
When customers don’t come we  incur losses, because when our vegetables stay
long they get rotten and we end  up dumping them.
The only problem is that we buy them expensively and have to  pay transport
for them, which is also expensive. Drivers charge us D15.00 to  transport each
pan load of vegetables. We also have to pay a wheelbarrow man to  take our
goods to our stalls for us.
I use the little profit I earn to pay my  children’s school fees and
sometimes save some in case of emergency.
The only  way we can be in terms with our customers is for prices to go down
so that we  sell at affordable prices.
DEMBA JAWNEH
NURSE
Our business, in recent  years, has not been profitable. We hardly have
customers. Even though one may  claim that it is because of the fact that the
health conditions of the people  have improved, many people complain of the high
cost of medicine. We do import  drugs and this is what has made the cost very
high.
I will say that our  working condition as nurses is indeed improving and we
are expecting it to be  even better come 2008. But I will, however, plead to
the authorities to increase  salaries so as to enable us excel in our duties.
WASSA  CAMARA
MASON
LATRIKUNDA SABIJI
We are indeed encountering great  difficulties in our business these days.
The cost of a bag of cement is very  high and with the reduction in the rate of
foreign exchange, the rate of our  employment has drastically dropped. People
now hardly invest in construction  because they say it is expensive and this
has greatly affected our living  condition, as we do not earn much and the
prices of basic commodities are very  high. I will appeal to the government to
help reduce the prices of goods so that  the poor can, at least, better their
lot.
What we earn is very small  compared to the high cost of living and we really
want better living  standard.
PA COLLEY
WELDER
FAJIKUNDA
Our business has been  fluctuating in recent years. Our job is heavily
dependent on those who are  constructing their houses and now with the reduction of
the foreign currency  rates and the high cost of our welding materials we are
not receiving enough  contracts, we are stranded.
With the Tobaski fast approaching this is  particularly difficult for us.
Initially, we do face the problem of electricity  and that has been solved, but
now our greatest problem is the high cost of the  materials because when people
bring contracts you charge them high prices that  they are not willing to
pay. This has greatly affected our business. We also pay  D3000 to KMC every year
as tax and I think the conditions now are hard.  The  reduction of taxes, I
think, will enable us realise the benefits of  our business and better our
working conditions.
JANKEY SAIDY
HOUSE  WIFE
TALLINDING
Things are not easy with us. If we go to the market the  prices of basic
commodities are high and we are not working to earn enough  income while we have
to feed our families. The government should seriously look  into our plight. We
want the prices of goods to came down so that we the  ordinary women can also
improve their standard of living.
TEACHER
NAME  WITHELD
The working condition of teacher’s is not satisfactory at all. There  is
little motivation in our job.
Just look at this budget. Despite the budget  surplus, I have not seen any
salary increment for us. We need to be given  incentives and allowances so that
we can deliver quality products in the  education system

CULTURE, INTEGRAL TO GAMBIA’S DEVELOPMENT
Says SoS Tourism
By Annia  B. Gaye
The Honourable Secretary of State for Tourism and Culture, Hon.  Angela B.
Colley has said that culture must be seen as an integral part of the  Gambia’s
development agenda. She added that our cultural norms and values,  traditional
customs and rites, folktales, riddles and games, traditional music,  dance and
theatre which account for the country’s cultural identity must be  preserved,
harnessed and developed for posterity.Madam Colley made these remarks  at the
opening of a three day workshop to update the Cultural Policy of the  Gambia,
 from the 13 to 15 December, at the Baobab Holiday Resort in  Bijilo.
SoS Coley noted that  there is need to continue indepth  research into the
various aspects of our Culture so that it can be documented  for now and
posterity. She said our cultural values need to be instilled in the  young people who
are the future leaders of this nation and that they must be  oriented on the
cultural norms and values of the society.
She said that  young people should be well conversant with good virtues that
our forebears had  bequeathed to the nation so that they will grow up to
become responsible members  of society and future leaders of this nation. “Our
cuJltural policy and the  cultural action plans derived from the policy must
therefore provide the  opportunities and the enabling environment for young people
to take their  rightful place in the cultural sector,” she said.
She mentioned that the  current Cultural Policy of The Gambia dates back to “
1988, which has been  reviewed a few times in the course of the last fifteen
years. She further  mentioned that such reviews have stopped short of truly
updating the policy  procedurally and bring it in line with the dictates of
present day circumstances  in all spheres of cultural life that the nation
currently faces.
“The  material and cultural heritage of our country is equally important. In
the  recent past, some of our major historic sites have now been inscribed in
UNESCO’s prestigious world heritage list, maintained at the World Heritage
Centre. Those sites and indeed all our other sites of historic and cultural
relevance must be conserved, interpreted and development for the social,
economic, educational and cultural development of The Gambia,” she said.
She  concluded by expressing hope to the participants that her Department of
State  received the finalised and updated Cultural Policy document.
The Secretary  General Gambia National Commission for UNESCO, Mrs. Sukai
Bojang, said that the  Islamic, Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation
(ISESCO) is funding  the updating of the cultural policy under its 2007 to
2009 Action Plan. This,  she said, is stipulated in its cultural programmes. The
organisation will seek  to contribute towards the elaboration of  culture
policies “conducive to  the positive interaction of culture tourism and
environment in member states”,  she remarked.
Mrs. Bojang defined culture as “Knowing the best of everything  and
propagating such knowledge to posterity….seeing things as they really are  and making
truth prevail. It brings peace of mine and helps mankind to achieve  spiritual
perfection.”. She urged participants to look at issues that affect  artists,
craftsmen and others so as to protect their work and build their  capacities.
The Director of National Arts and Culture, Mr. Momodou  Joof,  also
underscored the importance arts and culture in our country and  urged participants to
be serious on the updating of the policy. He thanked  UNESCO and the ISESCO for
funding the workshop.

Errors In Tax LawAct Rectified
By Bubacarr K. Sowe
The National  Assembly on Wednesday, December 12, passed a bill correcting
typographical  errors and omissions contained in the 2007 amendment to the
Income and Sales Tax  Act.
The Secretary of State for Finance and Economic Affairs, Musa Balla  Gaye,
who tabled the amendment, said the Act of 2007 contains some typographical
errors and in some instances omissions of certain phrases and words. Mr. Gaye
added that this has created ambiguity and confusion, thereby creating grounds
for dispute.
“It is therefore necessary to enact the proposed amendment in  order to
remove the possibility of different interpretations for the law and  potential
conflict,” the Secretary of State said.
He further said this would  guarantee the smooth operation of this important
sector and ensure that The  Gambia is legally protected in its desire to
secure maximum benefit from the  exploitation and taxation of the petroleum and gas
deposit.
Borry Colley, the  National Assembly Member for Foni Jarrol, seconding the
Bill urged his  colleagues to enact the legislation, since it is meant to
correct mistakes in  the law passed in September.
Sidia Jatta, NMA for Wuli West, said this  development has shown the level of
alertness by the Secretary of State for this  particular legislation.
The minority leader and member for Kiang West said  the amendment of the
errors would legally protect The Gambia.

FOOD  CRISIS MONITORING AND PREVENTION TRAINING ON THE WAY
By Amie Sanneh
The  permanent Secretary Department of State for Fisheries and Water
Resources, Lamin  Nyabally, has said that preventing food crisis cannot be done
effectively  without adequate and accurate data or information. He said food
security is a  niche in which people do not lie in hunger of fear of starvation. He
added that  food security exists when all people have sufficient, safe and
nutritious food  to meet their dietary needs and food preferences for an active
and healthy  life.Mr. Nyabally was speaking at the opening of a weeklong
sensitisation-training workshop on food crisis monitoring and prevention in The
Gambia from 10 to 14 December 2007 at the Paradise Suites Hotel.
The PS for  Water Resources further remarked that food security is synonymous
to national  security.He noted that studies conducted under the ‘Medium Term
Plan for  Development in the context of Vision 2020’ in 2005 indicates that 47
percent of  the population lie below the poverty line and 30 percent below
food poverty  line. This statistics, he said, is of great concern to government
and all hands  must be on deck in addressing them.
‘Since the attainment of food  self-sufficiency and food security in the sub
region, including The Gambia, is a  sine qua non for sustainable development,
the need for timely, effective and  accurate warning and food crisis
management systems cannot be over-emphasized”,  said the P.S. Mr. Nyabally posited that
in a region where food production and  the majority of livelihoods depend on
rainfall, the need for the monitoring of  their food production base is
necessary.
Speaking earlier, the Deputy  Permanent Secretary for Agriculture and
Permanent Secretary for CCONACILSS said  the training will enhance the creation of a
network in the region to better  coordinate joint efforts and actions to
prevent food crisis in the region.
He  said that at the end of the programme participants are expected to
continue  training themselves further with instruments that are going to be given to
them.  Amie Jarra chaired the programme.

Gambia College Launches Course In  Equine Husbandry
By Modou Jonga
The Gambia College, School of Agriculture,  Brikama campus on Thursday 13
December, 2007 officially launched a certificate  course in “Equine Husbandry”
at the college auditorium.
The Chairman of the  college council, Mr. Alpha A. Khan, noted that the
launching of the course is a  milestone in the annals of The Gambia College. The
college council chairman  underscored the invaluable significance of horses and
donkeys in the areas of  Agriculture, Transportation and Sports.
On his part, the principal of The  Gambia College, Dr. Alieu Badara Senghore,
dilated on the activities undertaken  before the launching of the certificate
course. Dr. Senghore revealed that the  process started with the development
of the capacity of the relevant college  staff in the process of identifying
training needs through various participatory  methodologies, designing
responsive curriculum materials, and using experimental  and learner-centered teaching
and learning approaches. The college principal  stated that in order to make
the college a training centre of excellence with a  highly competent and
motivated staff to deliver relevant training programmes in  a learner-centered
friendly environment, a satisfactory remuneration of staff  and capacity building
within a professional career path are required. While  noting that 14 students
have registered in the certificate course, Dr. Senghore  noted that all the
students admitted in the programme are fully sponsored by The  Gambia Horse and
Donkey Trust. Dr. Senghore expressed hope that the programme  will produce
graduates, who will substantially contribute to teaching farmers  and others for
the proper care and management of horses and donkeys for  sustainable
economic productivity. The college principal commended The Gambia  Horse and Donkey
Trust for its efforts the Permanent Secretary at the Department  State for
Agriculture, Dr. Amadou Sowe, who deputised for the SoS of Agriculture  Hon. Kanja
Sanneh commended The Gambia college, School of Agriculture and The  Gambia
Horse and Donkey Trust and Liverpool University for coming up with this
relevant and timely training programme.
While hailing the cooperation between  the partners, Dr. Sowe assured his
department of state’s continued support and  guidance to facilitate the
achievements of the goals of the course.
On her  part Mrs. Heather Armstrong, team leader for the sponsors, indicated
the essence  and need for the Equine Husbandry course. While expressing hope
that the course  will be a blue print for equine husbandry in West Africa,
Madam Amstrong called  for collective responsibility for the success of the
training programme. She  urged the enrolled students to be respectful to the
farmers. Delivering the vote  of thanks, the Head of the School of Agriculture, Mr.
Ebrima Cham, urged the  students to be serious and committed. The launching
ceremony also witnessed the  signing of the memorandum of understanding between
The Gambia college, School of  Agriculture and The Gambia Horse and Donkey
Trust, on the efficient management  of the training programme.
The Gambia College Council Chairman urged for the  maintenance of the course.
The launching ceremony was attended by staff  of The Gambia College, School
of Agriculture, Director of NARI, Mr. Dampha,  president of the National
Farmers Platform, Mr. Musa Jawneh, and College  students, amongst others.

FOCUS ON POLITICS
With
Suwaibou Touray
FINANCE MINISTER SABALLY’S  1989 BUDGET SPEECH GENERATED SWIFT REACTIONS;
HAS THE ERP SUCCEEDED?
We  have been focusing on politics in this column. We have dealt with the
political  developments in early 1989. In the last edition, we have dealt with
issues  relating to the SeneGambia Confederation and its inability to sustain
the  people’s expectations. We have stopped where we mentioned that the Nation
newspaper asked whether the Human Rights Commission would be bold enough to
point out human rights violations by the Jawara regime.
Let us continue from  where we have stopped.
By June 23rd 1989, the Minister of Finance, Hon.  Saihou S Sabally, revisited
the four year long drawn out IMF inspired Economic  Recovery Programme,
launched in 1985. In his budget speech to Parliament, he  praised the IMF imposed
programme as progressive compared to what he called the  retrogressive economy
of the recent past.
The ERP was designed to address the  following shortcomings in the  economy:
a)         Financial and  balance-of-payments stabilizations;
b)         Maximum short-term  expansion of output;
c)          Elimination of major exchange rates and price  distortions;
d)         Creation of a  climate conducive to the longer-term growth of the
private sector;
This was  also contained in  letter sent by The Gambia Government  to the
World  Bank requesting for a structural credit in August 1986.
The question was  whether it had succeeded in doing precisely that. Sabally
claimed it had.
He  went further and gave an overview of the external debt of developing
countries  and said it was rising in 1988 and would continue to rise in 1989. He
put the  figure of $ 1,320 billion dollars compared to $1,281 billion dollars a
year  earlier. He, however, did not mention how much Gambia, as a nation,
owed the  international money lending institutions. Sabally added that “The
external debt  of countries in Sub-Saharan Africa grew by 6.6 percent in 1988 to
US$, 138  billion Dollars”.
The Minister, however, lamented that the foreign debt  continued to grow
faster than income and exports. This situation, he said, was  unsustainable.
Sabally also accepted that this was a dilemma for many countries,  of which The
Gambia among; that a large part of the current borrowing was simply  to repay our
debts. Mr. Sabally also reported the decline in exports that  occurred in the
domestic component, even though he did not give figures.
Mr.  Sabally said Debt service charges were higher than budgeted, on account
of an  expected payment of 16.7 million dollars on the Paris club debt.
MPs in  those years always listened to the part of the speech to see what has
been  reduced or increased in terms of tax revenue and prices.
The minister then  announced the reduction of duty of sugar from 24% 15%,
Textiles 10%, 23% will be  reduced to 10%, for Batteries, electric appliances
reduced to 10% from 19%,  imported poultry, meat and eggs also reduced from 19%
to 10%. Television and  radio sets were also reduced to 20%, which received
some applause from MPs  .
MP’s REACTION
The reaction of Parliamentarians to the 1989 Budget was  mixed. Many MPs made
strong attacks on soft targets, such as the performance of  the GUC, the
Police Force and more so against price rise of rice and  sugar.
According to the Nation, it seemed that MPs, like their fellow  countrymen
and women, were also feeling the unbearable economic pressure that  has caused
disarray in our social system. In fact, as the Nation wrote, MPs were
protesting against the devastation of a society admired from within and without;  that
undisciplined, greedy and inconsiderate privileged Gambians were taking
advantage of the Government machinery to buttress their own ambitions.
According to the Nation, the MPs were also displeased with the certain
degree of  unease about the country’s input of their calculated flattery  for the
government policy and action. The Nation explained that what the MPs  were
trying to say on the economy, the people have already said  loudly and  clearly.
The Nation observed that, as usual, the members of the House did not do  their
job as expected of them.
PDOIS’ REACTION
The PDOIS however  made a study of it and drew lessons from it. According to
PDOIS, the MPs had  failed to shoulder the task satisfactorily; that none of
them drew the correct  conclusion; that some of them did not even make a
comment, whilst some spoke for  few seconds and others few minutes; that all those
who spoke congratulated the  Minister of Finance and none opposed the ERP
(Economic Recovery  Programme).
Foroyaa said there were a few MPs that expressed concern for the  rising cost
of sugar, rice and meat. Foroyaa maintained that what was obvious  was the
absence of price control and that was what enables businesspersons to  sell as
they wished and that too was a by-product of the ERP. So as PDOIS  stated, to
express support for the ERP and then raise concern about the price of
commodities is an exercise in futility; that it is like a person who loves  drinking
hard liquor excessively but hates drunkenness. Ridiculous isn’t it?  They asked.
PDOIS warned that the state of the Gambian economy should be  viewed with
seriousness because the state of the economy would determine whether  we are to
live in poverty or prosperity; hardship or ease. Foroyaa, quoting the  PDOIS,
noted the minister’s introductory remarks in his budget speech when he  said  “
that the overwhelming success of the ERP in reversing the country’s  economic
decline and providing the basis for sustainable economic growth is a  credit
to the government and to every Gambian”.
The PDOIS, which felt that  the representatives have failed to analyse the
1989 budget speech  satisfactorily, took upon themselves to do so and these are
some of the lessons  they have drawn from it among many others.
PDOIS maintained that the 1989  budget is of special significance in the
economic history of the Gambia for two  reasons. Firstly, we have reached the end
of the period which the government set  itself for implementing the Economic
Recovery Programme (ERP). PDOIS stated  that  the minister wanted the people to
believe that the ERP has reversed  the country’s economic decline and further
provided the basis for sustainable  economic growth. PDOIS asked whether thes
e claims are correct. The party argued  that the economy has instead been
sinking further into the abyss of crisis  during the implementation of the ERP;
that no basis has been created for  sustainable economic growth. PDOIS asked
what lessons should be drawn from the  performance of the economy under the ERP.
In their analysis, they gave a brief  summary for the rational behind the ERP,
in Foroyaa.
The Rationale Behind The  ERP
The PDOIS analyzed that the expenditure of the government continuously
exceeded revenue without any progress in tie quality of services to the public;
that despite the expanding expenditure of the government, hospitals lacked
essential drugs and schools lacked essential facilities; that by 1985 the debts
of the country were over 2000 million Dalasi; that it reached a level where the
 debts were not being serviced. Consequently, they argued foreign creditors
refused to give the country loans to finance its deficits. This was precisely
the reason why they said the country could not import essential commodities
in  1984 and 1985. Consequently, they said there was scarcity of goods. This
reality  the PDOIS noted threatened the very political survival of the P.P.P.
What then  was it to do to deal with the situation? They asked. The answer they
said is  simple. They argued that the government was ready to act in
accordance with the  international creditors; that the international creditors sent the
IMF to  examine how the Gambian economy was to be programmed to pay the debts
of the  government; that it finally devised the ERP whose major objective was
to plan  the economy in such a way that maximum funds could be realized from
government  revenue to pay debts. This they explained was precisely the reason
why the  government was required by the ERP to eliminate subsidies, reduce
the rate of  growth of government expenditure on salaries and vital services,
dispose of its  assets and tighten its tax collection methods so as to have
enough money to pay  its debts. In short the PDOIS asserted that the Gambia
government was now to be  the local tax collector of the international moneylenders;
that it was to  collect taxes from the people mainly to repay loans.
How then were goods to  be brought into the country? They asked, since the
international moneylenders  were no longer ready to finance the huge trade
deficits of the country, they  asked the govern&shy;ment to liberalize trade,
meaning that price controls  should be eliminated and business persons should be
left to find their own ways  of importing goods and selling as they wished.
Thirdly, since loans are paid  through foreign change, the IMF saw the need
to prevent the drain of foreign,  exchange into the ‘black market’ by trying
to eliminate the difference between  the rates offered in the hank and those
offered in the black market.  Furthermore, it recommended for government to set
limits on bank credit to  government and the private sector. In this way, it
hoped the banks would always  have foreign exchange to sell to the government
to enable it to finance its  repayments.
Hence, they asserted that it should be clear that the real  purpose of the
ERP was not to facilitate the development of the productive  sectors of the
economy but to programme it in such a way that the Gambia would  be able to repay
its loans and the interests on them by hook or by crook. The  ERP they
concluded is therefore the ERP of the International  moneylenders.

The PDOIS insisted that the past few years had shown  beyond any shadow of
doubt that the purpose of the ERP was not to improve the  earning capacity of
the people but to free the government from shouldering the  responsibility of
providing services to the people so as to repay loans.
The  analysis also showed how duties had been reduced while price control no
longer  exists. They also showed how government was using the tax money paid
by the  people to pay for rich persons who had taken loans from the Gambia C
ommercial  and Development Bank or to rehabilitate institutions whose resources
had been  squandered. They asserted that herein  laid the origin and essence of
the  ERP.
The PDOIS vehemently argued that the only achievement of the ERP was to  make
the international moneylenders and few businesspersons richer while making
the Gambia and the vast majority of her people poorer.

Gambia To Have School Of Cultural Music And Dance
By Modou Jonga
The  Manager of Tranquility Residence, and holiday accommodation resort,
Flora  Ogberenovien, on Thursday 6 December, 2007, told Foroyaa that her resort is
at  an advanced stage in its objective of establishing The Gambia School of
Cultural  Music and Dance (GSCMD). Madam Ogberenovien made these remark in an
interview  with this reporter. She noted that the cultural music and dance
school is part  of the Tranquility Residence Resort along the Brusubi All Venue.
She noted that  the school, which will start operation early next year will
offer a dynamic and  colourful course in authentic Gambian music and dance. The
school aims to  combine all the joys of an exotic African vacation with the
excitement of  experiencing the rich tapestry of The Gambia’s ethnic groups
through vibrant  music and dance.
According to the Tranquillity Residence Resort Manager, the  course also
entails a unique combination of educational experience includng site  visits to
historical towns and villages such as James Island amongst others. She  noted
that the course is designed to be flexible and can facilitate a maximum of
twenty participants. Tuition is based on one to one basis and flexible, Madam
Ogberenovien reiterated.
Dilating on the services provided by her resort,  Madam Ogberenovien noted
that her resort organises short leisure trips to The  Gambia, provides
comfortable accommodation with excellent facilities and is a  walking distance from the
beach. While noting that her resort incorporates a  conference and dance hall
and restaurant that serves European and African  dishes, Madam Ogberenovien
disclosed that her resort is a distance from Tanji  fishing port with a bird
reserve just a few minutes drive and that it is ideally  located close to the
Banjul International Airport. She further asserted that her  resort is committed
to promoting responsible tourism and aiding local Gambian  communities.

Disability Does Not Mean Inability
President Of Disabled Association  Speaks Out
Bv Yava Bajo
The President of Bundung Association for Disabled  and Their Children
(BADAC), Mr. Demba K. Darboe, remarked that his association  which was conceptualised
barely a year ago is a humanitarian non-governmental  body aimed at
addressing the plight of disabled people. A highly optimistic Mr.  Darboe made this
revelation on Wednesday December 12 in an hour-long chat with  this reporter at
his office complex at Number 93 Bundung Highway, opposite the  Bundung Police
Station.
“It is no news to know that disabled people in The  Gambia lack relaxed
minds, access to information and life skills, thus forcing  them into begging on
the streets. We therefore came out to promote the  development and growth of
disabled people and their children with a view to  attaining a dignified living
standard in the society,” he said. He added that  the Association’s primary
focus is to provide education and agricultural  development to their members to
serve as a mechanism for empowering them and to  alleviate their suffering. At
this point, Darboe showed this reporter a bunch of  students’ scholarship
files that the association is currently sponsoring in  various schools within the
Kanifing Municipality.
The BADAC president also  divulged that the association aims to establish
bases in various hinter land  regions that are evaluated as viable project sites.
He said the projects in  these areas will include nursery  or kindergarten
schools and the graduate  support scheme.
Mr. Darboe further enumerated his Association’s aims and  objectives as thus.
·The primary purpose of the project is to protect and  improve the quality of
life for disabled people and their children,
·To  support all programmes geared towards nation building;
·To fully protect them  and their children from all kinds of abuse or
exploitation;
·To encourage  skills transfer within the association and also from one group
to  another;
·To mobilise both internal and external resources for use by the  disabled
people and their children for development;
·To teach them to know  their reproductive health, rights and
responsibilities in the society;
·To  fully give them care and comfort and not to stigmatise them simply
because they  are victims of disability;
·To enable them have access to information and  life skills to protect
themselves rather than resort to begging and;
•To  sponsor their children in educational and skills and or vocational
centres.
Mr. Darboe concluded by re-assuring that the Bundung Association of  Disabled
in The Gambia brings a new blessing to disabled people in the  country.

MARRIAGE AND FAMILY
With Amie Sillah
Victim Of Circumstances  ‘AiGaaf’
Part 4
Ebrima With Mom
Ebrima told his mom about a project he  wanted to embark on. He asked for a
huge sum of money. His mom asked for a  guaranty. “”You don’t trust me mom?”
He posited. “This is not about trust my  son! You are asking for a lot of
money.” Mom argued. “Give me two weeks mom and  you’ll be convinced.” “I’ll not
count my chickens before my eggs are hatched. I  cannot give you that amount
of money without a guarantee. Mom insisted. EB  protested. “You refused to buy
a car for my wife; you refused to give me money  for my new project; mom!
What are you to me? A rival? My wife is my  responsibility. I’ll take care of her.
” EB posited. “I don’t care EB! Suit  yourself!” Mom was adamant.
EB Bursts Out
“You treat my family with  contempt. You never approve of my union with
Fatima. You cannot pretend. It does  not work.” Mom bursted out. “Your wife is
evil. She is ‘AiGaaf’ (bad lucked) she  is possessed by evil spirits.”
“My wife is seeking employment. She will get  it. She will be economically
empowered and we will leave your house.” EB bluffed  “That’s a good idea. I
wish you all the best. Good riddance to bad rubbish.” Mom  jeered at EB.
EB And The Intern
Sophie is an intern in Mom’s company. She  is very trusted and hardworking.
EB met her to make a deal. Sophie was afraid.  “Don’t be afraid. I’ll cover
you up. Aja is my mom. Give me the money for the  project. I’ll return it back
in two weeks time if my deal goes through and it  will Ishallah! (Allah’s
Willing).” EB pushed Sophie to do it reluctantly. “Do as  you say my job is at
risk.” Sophie pleaded. EB tapped her shoulders. “Its okay!”  He said.
EB Buys A Car For Fatima
EB bought an expensive jeep for Fatima.  The family became suspicious
especially Hojah.
Hojah Confronts EB
“Where  did you get the money to buy Fatima this expensive jeep?” Hojah
challenged. “Do  I owe you an explanation you rude brat?” “Yes! You do. Is it the
project you  told mom about? If it is you are doom. Because that amounts to
fraud and you’ll  have to pay back the money or we will call the police to
impound on it.” EB  rushed at her. “You questioned my authority? I’ll get the
hell out of you.” He  caught up with her and hit her. Mom came in time and
separated them. “Don’t kill  my daughter you possessed beast! She is right. You
have to explain how you got  the money to buy your wife such an expensive jeep. I
want to know as the CEO of  Marie and Mustapha Holdings Ltd. If it is the
company’s money you’ll have to  refund it with immediate effect. This time there
will be no emotional breakdown  in my office!” Mom warned.
Horejah’s Tantrums
“His wife will not step into  that car until the puzzle is resolved. She can’
t! it is forbidden!” Hojah went  into tantrums. Aja became confused. EB went
back to his office.
Hojah Locks  The gate
Hojah is out for trouble today. She went and locked the gate with  her own
lock and keys. Abdou protested. “But madam! Don’t do that! Don’t lock  the
gate. Gate keeping is my job not yours.” Hojah shouted at Abdou. “Shut up  you
silly brat! Mind your business! I have locked the gate. I determine who goes
out and who comes in period! Do you have a problem with that?” She scolded
Abdou. Abdou grumbled and became frustrated. He paced up and down the  pavement.
Fatim Wants To Go Out
Hojah is based outside in the yard. She is  ready for trouble. She played her
tape radio cassette at high pitched volume,  put on her ear phone and danced
to a crazy music.
Fatim came out and asked  Abdou to open the gate for her. She got the
surprise of her life. “I can’t.”  Abdou replied. “Why can’t you?” Fatim became
impatient. “Ask small madam. She  locked the gate with her own lock and key.” “
What!” She rushed to Hojah. “Please  Hojah, open the gate. I have an
appointment at baby Mariam’s school before I am  late.” Hojah laughed at her face. “Am
I holding you? Go through the small gate.  Are you too big to go through it?”
Fatim gave a sarcastic laugh and begged  again. “Please Hojah! I want to
drive out. I am going to Baby Mariam’s school. I  have an appointment with her
headmastress.” She pleaded. “I don’t care! The jeep  is a stolen property. It is
impounded until your husband pay for it you’ll not  drive it.” She was
adamant, mean and callous. Fatim cursed her. “You are a  woman. Allah will pay you
for your deals. You always make me cry. I am a  defenceless orphan. I do you
and your mom no wrong. You choose to disturb me  Allah will also show you no
peace.” She went out. “Back to sender! Allah will  punish you small witch!”
Hojah talked back at her. Fatim went to find a cab.  Abdou was very angry at the
discrimination. He shook his head and clenched his  teeth. He swore and cursed
Hojah.
EB With A Customer
EB was with a  customer at his office. Fatim rang and told him the incident. “
What! I am on my  way. Take it easy darling. I’ll solve it. I’ll be there in
a jiffy.” The  customer enquired. “What is it? Is it okay?” He asked. “I am
fine.” EB gave a  cool reply, keeping the family secret.
Sophie Losts Her Job
Aja Mariam  called Sophie in her office and reprimanded her. “I trusted you
Sophie and you  decided to stab me at my back. You connived with EB and he
wasted my money on  his wife’s car. You disrespected me. That is insubordination. I
’ll not take it.  I’ll give you as an example. Go to the accountant. She
will pay you your dues  and your one month’s pay. Good bye and good luck! Now
leave my office!” Sophie  was dumb founded. She sobbed bitterly and left. She
found herself in a  trap.
EB Confront His Mom
“Hand over your resignation before I get you  fired!” Mom roared. “I am
going home to get that gate unlocked! I don’t care if  it gets destroyed in the
process but that gate have to be opened and my wife to  drive her jeep through
it!” EB threatened. “Go and do it and you see whats  happen to you! This is
burglary! I’ll call the police and get you arrested for  theft and burglary.”
Mom threatened. “We shall see!” EB defied.

Interview with Halifa Sallah on Public and Private Enterprises
Part  15
How does PDOIS
intend to  handle
Public Enterprises?
Public enterprises are very vital to the type of  development PDOIS intends
to pioneer.. In short, if a developing country relies  entirely on taxation it
must experience a saturation of the tax burden which  will either lead to
taxes serving as a disincentive to production or  be a  catalyst to the reduction
of publics services or the introduction of cost  recovery to maintain them.
This is precisely the reason why a government which  seeks to avoid such an
eventuality should establish productive public  enterprises in order to augment
non tax revenue to promote the development of  schools, roads, hospitals and
other infrastructure without relying entirely on  Loans and Grants.
Public enterprises shall enable the country to  derive revenue from
production instead of relying entirely on taxation. The  management of each public
enterprise shall be obliged to report the gross value  of the assets of the
enterprise, its gross investment and its surplus after tax  on an annual basis. The
sum to be paid to the public purse as dividend shall be  estimated for the
next following financial year and an agreement signed with the  Ministry of
Finance to that effect. The Ministry of finance will engage  Economists and post
them in the Ministry to serve as desk officers for each  enterprise. The desk
officers shall monitor the daily operations of the public  enterprises and
prepare quarterly reports which should reflect adherence to or  deviations from the
agreements signed for submission to the Minister of finance  for onward
transmission to cabinet.
The chief executive of each public  enterprise shall be required to present a
report before the joint session of  cabinet and the board of the enterprise
before the end of each financial year  detailing the estimates of its revenue
and expenditure for the following  financial year, the investment programmes of
the enterprise and an estimate of  the dividend anticipated for the year.
Their funds shall be lodged at the  central bank or in any special account to
which the central bank shall be  signatory.
The Ministry of finance will also have desk economists for the  Central
Revenue Department, the internal Audit department and the Treasury  Department. All
revenue collection departments shall sign performance  contracts.
These desk officers with the permanent secretaries and heads of  department
will meet quarterly to assess the performance of all institutions and  develop
a road map on the income and expenditure patterns of each institution  for the
next financial year and all the potential sources and volume of revenue  to
meet expenditure both recurrent and developmental.
Union of public  servants would negotiate with such planning committee on the
grading in the  service and the income that should be allotted to them on the
basis of the  quantity and quality of work requires for each post.
Hence all the  regulatory, structural, managerial and statutory mechanisms
will be in place to  ensure that the public corporations provide the dividends
required for recurrent  and development purposes. The loose system where every
Tom dick and Harry who  wants to launch a party related activity turns to the
public enterprises for  funding shall disappear. Funds shall be lodged and
spent as provided for by laws  and subsidiary regulations
How do you intend to deal with the private  sector?
The private sector must also address four economic categories, that  is,
production, accumulation or Investment, Distribution or marketing and  Consumption
or income generation for the stake holders.
In terms of  institution of accumulation, the country has commercial banks
which are  currently carrying out transactions in the buying and selling of
foreign  exchange totalling 24 billion dalasis. This confirms that the commercial
banks  have tremendous investment potential.
The major shortcoming of the past and  present regimes is the failure to give
priority to the linkage between the  productive base of the private sector
and the institutions of accumulation.  Hence investment is very limited and has
no strategic value in promoting  sustainable and people centred development.
The facts reveal that in 2006  domestic credit totalled 4.2 billion. Credit to
the private sector totalled 2.2  billion. The sectoral analysis of the credits
of the commercial banks revealed  that 23 % was allotted to the distributive
trade or the import sector. Personal  loans consumed 17% of the total. It is
also evident that Companies like GAMCO  did not bring any substantial
investment into the agricultural sector. Instead  they relied on commercial bank loans
with public enterprises serving as  guarantor to access commercial bank loans
to purchase groundnuts. Consequently  Commercial bank loans to the marketing
of agricultural produce totalled 19%..  The bulk of Domestic credit by the
central bank went to finance the budget  deficits of the government thus making
the government a major debtor to the  banks. In fact in 2006 the interest cost
on the domestic debt consumed more than  a quarter of Gambia’s Local Fund
Expenditure. The insurance companies, the  foreign exchange bureaus and many micro
-financial institutions and lottery  schemes are institution s of
accumulation. Remittances from Gambians abroad is  said to have increased to 1.8billion.
However there is no strategic plan of how  to link these institutions to the
productive base in the private sector. It is  therefore important to indicate
that PDOIS intends to move away form public  sector dependence on private
commercial bank finances to finance budget  deficits. We will rely on public sector
management and productivity to meet  recurrent expenditures and the larger
share of development  expenditure.
Institutions of accumulation in the private sector will be  compelled by
necessity to engage the private enterprises which are interested in  investing
into the productive base of the economy to produce goods and services  which
could be consumed locally to reduce foreign exchange flight and further  enhance
their exportation to increase foreign exchange earnings.
What will be  the relation between a PDOIS government and the private sector?
First and  foremost, PDOIS will encourage the chamber of commerce and
industry to be  representative of the needs and aspirations of the members of the
private  sector. so that it would become the APEX institution for strategic
planning and  interface between the public and private sectors.
The government will  establish a Ministry of Commerce, Services, Trade and
Industry to enable  economists to be employed to become desk officers for the
banking, service,  trade and industrial sectors. These desk officers will have
quarterly meetings  with the chamber of commerce and industry to know the state
of the private  sector production and investment so as to know what periodic
measures to take to  enhance the effectiveness of private sector production
and investment which are  in line with the corporate principle of promoting
economic self reliance and  ensuring   people centred and sustainable development
What would  labour relation be like?
We will restore the joint industrial council where  representatives of
employers and Trade Unions shall meet to establish wages for  all categories of
workers on the basis of the quantity and quality of work done  and the duration..
These minimum wages will be statutorily established and shall  take the cost
of living into consideration.

Could a small economy  like that of the Gambia be self-reliant?
Nkrumah had indicated that a  self-reliant economy must have three
components. First and foremost it must be  able to produce it raw material requirements.
Secondly, it must be able to  process the raw materials to produce value
added manufactured goods. Thirdly, it  must be able to produce the machines
required for the production of manufactured  goods.
Gambia can meet the first requirement. It can establish many cottage
industries to go a long way in producing value added processed goods to meet
domestic consumption and reduce our food import bill. However it will still need  to
import a substantial part of its needs for manufactured goods. Thirdly, even
though it will be able to build some light machines it will still be unable to
 establish machine building industries on its own. This is precisely the
reason  why we stand for continental integration so that African countries can
pool up  resources to meet the secondary and tertiary phases of self reliant
economies.  This is what Europe did after the devastation of their economies
during the  Second World War. I have made this very clear in my book: “Treatise on
founding  a Federation of African Republics”
Some people have been arguing what your  positions on religion and communism
are. Can you shed more light on these  issues?
To be continued

Farmers Express Concern
What Could Be done To support Them?
By Sarjo  Camara Singhateh

Farmers in the Central River region have expressed  concerns over the trade
season and constraints affecting their work. This  reporter visited both banks
of the region and had interviews with  farmers.
Speaking to this reporter, Mr. Samba Saye a 65 year old man, said  farming
then and now have a very big difference. He stated that in the past the
Agriculture Department used to help farmers with fertilizers and insecticides  for
the farming period and facilities to store their produce. “We are doing our
best but we have constraints, we have no place to sell our produce,”
He  stated earlier, “we don’t have sympathy for each other, sometimes we
want to do  farming but we have no seeds.”
“We sometimes don’t have fertilizer and  insecticides. If you don’t have
money you cannot buy them, we sometimes go to  Senegal and get fertilizer,” said
Samba Saye.
“Water is our problem and we  have only one well which is deep. With this
situation, women cannot do  gardening. We have children that are going to school
compared to our time,” he  said.
Payment of school fees is another thing. We cannot afford to pay their
school fees. Bamba Boye, from Andulie in CRR, Fulladu West said;
“We have not  seen any trade season yet.” He suggested that the Government
chips in to support  farmers.
Bikeh Boye also from Andulie expressed similar sentiments. We farm  only
groundnut, maize and other cereals for our family’s upkeep,” Bike remarked.
On his part Assan Camara of Demfaye also stated that the constraints they
have during the trade season have compelled him to grow water melon, cassava and
 sweet potatoes. Because they sometimes need money and they do not have it on
 time.
He urged the Government to come to their aid so that each year they  (the
farmers) can expect bumper harvest.
He said some of them use horse carts  to transport their groundnuts to “lumos”
 and neighbouring Senegal, because they  need money and the Muslim feast is
around the corner.
He stated that selling  their products outside The Gambia is not good for
them likewise the country, but  they do so because they have no option.

Agric PS Criticises Poor Extension Services
By Modou  Jonga

Dr. Amadou Sowe, the Permanent Secretary at the Department of  State for
Agriculture (DoSA), has said that the poor training of agricultural  extension
staff has been part of the problem of the relative ineffectiveness of  extension
delivery in the field. The DOSA Permanent Secretary urged for changes  in
training in order to reverse the current trend. Dr. Sowe disclosed that most
field- level extension staff lack the requisite knowledge, skills and attitudes
required to work in a complex and rapidly changing agricultural environment.
The DoSA P.S noted that the challenge is to provide responsive training
programmes that will enable extension staff to develop the competence needed to
enable staff in using participatory, reflective and active learning processes
with farmers.
Speaking further, Dr. Sowe lamented that extension workers who  are assigned
to work with the farming population have little knowledge of the  basic
attitudes and customs of the people. They lack training in adult education  methods
and rural sociology, posited, Dr. Sowe. He urged extension fieldworkers  to
have skills, knowledge and attitudes to bring about behavioural changes and  the
performance needed in the workplace.
While noting that the majority of  farmers in The Gambia are smallholders who
primarily traditional manage farming  system, the DOSA Permanent Secretary
noted that an integrated and unified  approach to extension organisation and
delivery could help adequately. He noted  that environmental protection and
sustainable productivity also require a  holistic approach to the management and
delivery of extension services. He then  pointed out that this is the rational
for the current restructuring of the  agricultural sector into a National
Agricultural Development Agency (NADA). He  revealed that the main aim of NADA is
to consolidate the previous achievements  in the agricultural sector and to
facilitate further improvement on the  extension delivering system. P.S  Sowe
noted that the harmonisation of  extension approaches and the integration of all
extension services, for crops  livestock, forestry and fisheries is required
so that a single extension worker  would advise and assist farmers on all their
activities.
While describing  extension workers as the main source of support for farmers
in all aspects of  production and resource management, Dr. Sowe said an
effective new unified  extension services with a threefold strategy should be
adopted. These threefold  strategy, P.S Sowe, he said, requires that support and
intervention to be based  on farmer’s needs, the stabilisation and enhancing of
the productive physical  environment and the introduction of new technology
for increase production. Dr.  Sowe made these remarks on Thursday 13 December,
2007 while delivering the  official launching statement of an Equine Husbandry
Course at the Gambia  College.

In Brikama Infanticide Trial
Accused Changes Plea
By Modou  Jonga
The infanticide case involving a resident of Brikama Perseverance  Street
(name withheld) on Wednesday 12 December changed his plea from not guilty  to
guilty by the accused before Magistrate E. F M’bai.
Lawyer Lamin Mboge  declared his representation for the accused and stated
that he has advised the  latter in the view of the overwhelming evidence on
record, there is no room for  her to escape charged preferred on him. Lawyer Mboge
reiterated that he has  accordingly advised his client to change her plea
from not guilty to guilty. He  thus applied for the charge sheet to be read
against the accused person. The  particulars of the preferred offence has it that
the accused on 23 July, 2007 at  Brikama Perseverance Street, Kombo Central
unlawfully caused the death of her  newly born female baby under the age of
twelve (12) months.
Narrating the  facts, the prosecutor sub-Inspector Saine noted that on the
said date and place,  officers of Brikama Fire Service received information that
the accused had  delivered and buried her newly born female baby without the
knowledge of anyone.  Upon receiving the said information, noted prosecutor
Saine, fire service  officers led by Corporal Fadera left for the Brikama Police
Station, where the  said information was relayed to two police officers. He
noted that the officers  left for the scene of the infanticide. Upon arrival at
the compound where the  infanticide was committed, the landlord, Corporal
Jabang, a police officer was  questioned but the latter replied that he was
unaware of the  incidence.
According to Prosecutor Saine, the said officers at the scene  conducted
search and the body of the baby was discovered. Prosecutor Saine told  the court
that two pictures were taken before exhuming the corps and more  pictures were
also later taken. He noted that the said pictures were tendered in  court and
that the accused was arrested. He stated that the body of the late  baby was
taken to Brikama Health Centre while the accused was detained at  Brikama
Police Station. He noted that the deceased was referred to the RVTH  mortuary for
examination  and that the accused to was referred to RVTH but  was discharged
on 6 August, 2007. Prosecutor Saine noted that on 24 July 2007 a  post mortem
was authorized and that the following day. Corporal Danso of Brikama  CID
Office went to RVTH for the examination. He said that two pictures were also  taken
before the post mortem and that one picture was taken during the post  mortem.
After the narration of the facts, the Presiding Magistrate convicted  the
accused. Lawyer Mboge in mitigating on behalf of the convict noted that the
convict is a first-time offender and urged the court to consider the age of the
convict. Lawyer Mboge stated that the convict is unemployed and that she has
manifested remorse. While urging the court to temper justice with mercy by
imposing a fine rather than an imprisonment, Lawyer Mboge noted that a custodial
sentence might jeopardize and have a life time social Stigma on the convict
forever. The presiding Magistrate urged that the judgment be deferred till
Monday 17 December 2007.

Gambia College 19 Man Student Executive Sworn In
By Lamin A.  Darboe
Following the amalgamation and harmonisation which eventually brought
together the four sister schools –Education/Agriculture, Public Health and  Nursing
and Midwifery of the Gambia College under one main student union,  (Gambia
College Students Union) a 19 man executive on Wednesday 2007 took the  oath of
office administered by the IEC Chairman Lamin Saho at the main hall of  the
college.
In his inaugural speech, the Registrar of Gambia College, Mr.  Demba Ceesay,
described the occasion as the “dawn of a new era in the history of  The Gambia
College” because according to him, it is a clear manifestation of  student “
Unionism” that unites them rather than having each school operating on  their
own.
Mr. Ceesay reminded the gathering that gone are the days when  students used
to be separated because they had different goals; and efforts to  solve
students’ problems were always hampered due to their fragmentation.   He called on
the new executive to stick to the principles and letter of the  constitution as
much as possible. “You should always be ready to address the  needs of the
students as well as to promote academic excellence amongst  students, ensuring
that they excel in their programmes”. Mr. Ceesay also urged  the general
student body  to rally behind their elected representatives for  success.
For their parts, the presidents of the Sub-Union (Agric and  Education,
Public Health, Nursing and Midwifery and the main student union)  Bakary Badjie,
Dodou Sanyang and Bakary Cham, respectively, thanked the interim  executive and
general students body fort the “steadfastness, commitment,  collaboration and
support” they have rendered to them during their tenure of  transition to
ensure that amalgamation and harmonisation become a reality. They  challenged
incoming executive  to measure to the task. According to him an  occasion like
that handing over ceremony to a unified governing body had been  yearned for by
many leaders  since the inception of The Gambia College, but  that it was
realized at their own time. The President National Union of Gambian  Student,
Ebrima Sanneh defined this handing over as an important beginning of  the future of
the college. He noted that the evolution is very timely and  necessary. He
therefore urged the new executive to use its “soft power to good  effect.”
Sanneh cautioned them that since more is expected from the union, they  must
design for confidence building and political engagement that can encourage  and
motivate student particpation.
He finally urged for concerted and  collective efforts to sustain the
continuation of this unionism for today and  “posterity”.
Musa H. Camara, the newly elected president, on behalf of his  executive,
thanked the students for the trust and confidence they rested on  them. He
assured them that the programmes he had highlighted in his manifesto  would be
thoroughly followed by his executive during its term of office,  especially the
return of the students on campus.
The vote of thanks was  delivered by Musa Fofana an in-coming Information
Minister.
The in-coming  executive are:
Musa H. Camara- President
Kintinu Dampha- Vice  President
Bakary Sanneh- Secretary
Bakary Badjie – Assistant  Secretary
Musa Fofana- Information Minister
Lamin Jabang-Health  Minister
Mamut Saine-Transport Minister
Ma- Sanneh Ceesay- Education  Minister
Samba Bah- Social Secretary
Fatou Kah- Laundry and Women Affairs  Minister
Balla Musa Jatta-Sport Minister
Ousman Dem- Auditor General
Aminata Prince Sesay Laundry and Women Affair 2
Yankuba L. Ceesay-  Accommodation Minister 1
Hulay Bah- Nutrition Minister
Malick Faal-  Treasurer
Madikay Keita- Accommodation
Dodou Jagne-Health