GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 10 Aug 2003 12:10:08 EDT
I think I tend to agree with brother Omar Joof when it comes to Imam Fatty
and Jammeh. Imam Fatty is an Imam who wants to let muslims in the Gambia know
what the Qur'anic rulings regarding our everyday life is, and the need to adhere
to the rules as set forth by the Qur'an and Jammeh was using the occasion as
a political tool to woo the muslim majority and leadership to his camp.

Now weather the Imam saw this or not is debatable, however, Shariah law
explicitly emphasizes the protection of the rights of non muslims at all cost, and
therefore, Imam Fatty as an Islamic scholar should have known that his only
role as an Imam should have been to direct his advice and chastisement at the
muslims,urging them to know the Sunna of the Prophet and to apply that knowledge
to their everyday lives and actions, and should not have gotten involved in
delegating the wishes of the Jammeh regime in threatening to lay down laws
that are Qur'anic directives for muslims to apply to the population at large when
that population is comprised of muslims as well as Christians and other
religions.
if Jammeh was such a devout muslim who was interested in promoting awareness
and knowledge of our religion to his fellow muslims, he could have done this
by privately encouraging the imams to use their various mosques to teach the
Sunna to their various congregations,  and not make the issue a state affair.

I think that building a mosque at state house and making him the Imam there
would not have been a big deal if Jammeh's only reason for building the mosque
was to accord him and those members of the staff who are muslims a  secure
place to go and do their 5 daily prayers without the pomp and ceremony of a
presidential escort to go to the mosque 5 times in the day( The Qur'an says that
prayers performed at congregation are much more superior that those performed
individually, ,and that men should go to the Masjid to perform the 5 daily
prayers). However, I think it has become amply clear that Jammeh is not such a
devout muslim because of the many things he has done that are clearly against the
teachings of the Qur'an and which any conscientious muslim whould never do. So
his motives for building the mosque at state house were not honourable and
was most likely something he saw as beneficial in his attempts to garner good
relations with the muslim states, in other words, his "Allah's World Bank" guys.

I think Imama Fatty made a mistake by not adhering to the teachings of the
Qur'an which are never intolerant and always fair and just to all, and  which
would have guided him as to how to act in all of the situations that came up in
the past, but instead,  he bowed to Jammeh's wishes and intermingled the
teachings of the Qur'an with the desires of the president to propagandize the whole
affair, and the end result is that Jammeh got used to having the Imam not
tell him the real rulings of the Qur'an and refusing to politicize them.

I also do not agree that building a mosque at State house precludes a
Christian head of State if the purpose was as mentioned above, and in  the case that
we have a Christian head of State, those members of his staff who are muslims
can use the premises. The presence of the mosque does not preclude anyone of
another faith being there. This in my view will be one of the real indications
that we are indeed a seculiar society where one religion does not attempt to
force their rules on another.

I think that given the history of Muslims, Christians and animists getting
along very well in our country, these matters would not have been an issue had
it not been for Jammeh's attempts to use religion as his own personal tool.
I think we have to be careful that in our attempts to seem fair, we do not
swing over too far and end up adopting  the values of one religion over another,
and that we make sure that we do not try to interfere with our various
religious leaders trying to guide their congregations accordign to the Qur'an or the
Bible or whatever religious text they deem relevant to their religious
practice.
In Islam, we are told that there is no compulsion in religion and that
everyone has a right to decide what they watn to worship and that Allah is the final
judge. Our only obligation is to relay what  the Qur'an tells us.

There are strict rulings in the Qur'an regarding all matters in the life of a
muslim, and  it si incumbent upon our Imams to relay these guidelines to the
people, indeed, ,the Qur'an says the ywill be judged if they fail to do this.
I think the true test as to whether we are a real secular society rests on
our ability to let each religious group adhere to the rulings of, and practice
their religion without obeliterating  either one to palcate the others and
thinking that that is secularism.
We must not impose our religion on anyone, but we cannot also let others
force us not to adhere to the rules of our religion. This should have been the
simple response and solution to this veil affair.

Jabou Joh