GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 20 Nov 2005 13:27:41 EST

Mr Darboe,

No matter how hard I tried, I just could not pass up the opportunity and
would be remiss if I do not second your motion at least for history to  record.
Only in having the courage to sincerely acknowledge without any  intent of self
interest, those whose unmistakable genuine dedication toward  the pursuit of
all that is good for our people in every sense of the word, and  who have over
the years consistently, undoubtedly and unequivocally demonstrated  their
embrace of this endeavour without a shred of self propagation and  self interest
of any sort,  and who have always undertaken this task  without having lost
and still embracing all the qualities held in  the highest of esteem by all
aspects of our people and culture, can we  as a people truly and earnestly begin
the journey on the road towards our true  liberation both from tyranny and from
the evils of our own misdeeds and  shortcomings, because anything short of
that, no matter how well intentioned or  well packaged  would be just self
medication and self delusional. Thank  you. The other members of the NADD executive
who are also no minor players in  the same endeavour would be equally
demonstrating their dedication to the  pursuit of what is best for our people,
especially in these difficult and  critical times, if they elect to honour this
appeal and choose their  colleague the honourable Halifa Sallah as the flag bearer
for NADD. I hope  that this appeal will be seen by them in this light.
I reproduce below that portion of your posting that could not help but
inspire me to second your motion.
Jabou Joh

LJDarbo, [log in to unmask] wrote:

"It is  my contention that with stakes so high, NADD's most realistic option
is to  select a known quantity on the national stage. Where better to start
than  among the executive committee, all of whom are willing warriors in the
struggle to safeguard the true national security of The Gambia. In light of  the
transitional nature of NADD, with a sunset provision for the arrangement  to
self-destruct after five years, the flag bearer must be a visionary with  the
capacity to coordinate institution building across the constitutional
spectrum of our public life. The person must be capable of strict adherence to  all
facets of the transitional arrangement and must willingly relinquish  office
without precipitating a damaging and potentially destabilising power  struggle.

In the sense that he is not a traditional politician,  and with no baggage
from either the pre- or post-1994 governments, the NADD  executive member
clearly suitable for the mantle of 2006 presidential flag  bearer is Honourable
Halifa Sallah. With his impeccable and breathtaking  credentials of political
maturity and personal integrity, Halifa embodies the  best hopes of a convincing
NADD capture of the presidency in the watershed  2006 contest. His
name-recognition makes him a suitable compromise candidate  for the multifaceted variables
that will come into play, and must therefore be  factored, into the dynamics
of selecting a flag bearer.

Clearly  irrelevant on strict equal opportunity principles, ethnic background
will  nevertheless inevitably exercise the minds of several reasonable
people. Those  fears - unreasonable in the main - must nevertheless be recognised,
frontally  addressed, and allayed. On this critical front, Halifa is the only
national  figure capable of commanding across-the-board electoral endorsement
capable of  sealing the fate of tyranny in the Gambia.

Over the years, his  tireless charting of a vision of political dispensation
anchored in the mores  of social justice and the rule of law endeared him to
Gambians in all walks of  life. He is the unquestionable doyen of the political
opposition, an  embodiment of the spirit and aspiration of the unstoppable
forces coalescing  for inevitable change in Gambia’s political direction. He
will be a lethal  choice!

In opposition two decades ago, and still in opposition  today, Halifa
rejected salivating offers of positions in public life, on the  admirable grounds
that he could not partake in the illegitimate exercise of  public power,
especially when the full features of that power are on permanent  brutal display for
all to witness. Himself a visionary of the highest order,  Halifa’s foresight,
complemented and energised by the intellectual capital of  our country, will
enable the flowering of a political renaissance to dwarf the  soaring heights
of human possibilities as envisaged and articulated by the  high priests of the
humanistic tradition.

By “intellectual” I  refer to those men and women endowed with the common
sense to call tyranny by  its name, not the certificated buffoons choking the
air out of our national  life. And there are plenty of those charlatans
assiduously competing to  out-excel each other in researching and implementing the
cutting edge trends  in The Gambia’s dastard and booming sycophantic industry.

I now  formally call on Ousainou Darboe, Lamin Waa Juwara, OJ, Hamat Bah, and
Sidia  Sanyang, to demonstrate the assumed courage of their democratic
convictions,  and entrust the mantle of flag bearer to Halifa. They should find
assurance in  the theory advanced by several commentators, and endorsed by those
who cared  to examine the broad vistas of history, that a nation’s gratitude is
not  necessarily the preserve of those exercising public power.  Most are
mere  footnotes, and the majority never even make it that far. If you are able to
 help liberate us from a tyranny that is threatening to rip the very fabric
of  our nation, your places in The Gambia’s annals of political liberation will
be  assured.

I recommend Halifa for NADD flag bearer of Gambia  2006

Let us embrace Halifa for the first President of the Third  Republic. The
opportunities will never be any  brighter.

LJDarbo"