GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Baba Galleh Jallow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Aug 2007 22:01:13 +0000
Interesting indeed. Pre-emptive threats by the NIA is what caused the change
of plan, not "a careful and thoughtful analysis." Go negotiate or else . . .
!! God help a country where workers cannot demand their civil rights and are
coerced into "negotiating" for them. What this leads to is the humiliation
of the workers involved, a self-repression of their humiliation and anger,
and its eventual impromptu explosion into random violence sometime in the
future. Imposing a peace of the iron grid is one of the worst blunders
repeatedly committed by dictatorships. To create a genuine and lasting
peace, public grievances need to be freely expressed and intelligently dealt
with, not forcefully clamped shut. But of course the Jammeh regime is too
clever to know any of this uncommon sense.

Baba