GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Hamadi Banna <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Aug 2001 16:01:35 -0500
Mr. Dampha,

Unless you want to put words in my mouth, I've never said anywhere in my
postings that I "thought Jawara and PPP were going to spoil the Alliance."
That beside the main issue, I still want to know why since 1996 the UDP,
NRP, and PDOIS could not hold a similar meeting to seriously discuss about a
coalition.  Why did all other attempts fail in the past? Apart from the
occasional statements from the various parties about their intentions to
work collectively no decision has ever been made by the parties to coalesce.
  The only official statement I've read on the issue is when PDOIS came up
with a proposal to jointly nominate a presidential candidate who would serve
for 1 year before fresh elections would be organized.

Let's drop the angry invectives and the name tag about me being a PDOIS
supporter and look at the postings sent here by Adama Bah and Ebrima Sillah.
  According to the press release of the Coalition Meeting posted to the list
by Mr. Bah, the NCP has decided not to support Mr. Darboe's candidature and
the PDP "refused to make any commitments."  I did not even mention Assan
Musa Camara in my last posting, so I don't know where I've criticized him
for chairing the meeting.  In an earlier posting Adama Bah had made the
following statement:

“Are you aware that when PDOIS contacted the organisers on the phone it was
suggested for the meeting to be adjourned for invitation letters to be
dispatched immediately to convene a more representative and proper meeting?
Are you aware that the chairperson, Assan Musa Camara agreed to consider the
suggestion but that the rest of the delegates felt that time was against
them and that they must come to a decision? How do you read this picture?”

In his posting today, Ebrima Sillah referred to a possible split in the
Opposition.  Talking about his interview with the NCP leader Sheriff Dibba,
he said: “My interview with Dibba was also very revealing...too much info
than expected about the split and the dangerous underhand political tactics.
Not too good a situation for the opposition.”

Now, since I’m not in The Gambia why should I dismiss such reports as false?
  I'm still concerned that the Coalition is not all inclusive for reasons
best known the parties involved.

Regarding my reference to the PPP, I see no reason why I should not mention
their record whenever the need arises just as I would criticize the APRC in
similar instances even after they’re out of power.

Mr. Dampha, since we all are trying to get to the same place, I think we
should be more tolerant towards other people who decide to take different
roads.

Hamadi.