GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joe Sambou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Apr 2004 15:19:13 +0000
Binneh, yes indeed Yaya is a tribalist and has conned some Jolas to support
him blindly.  However, 80% of who is around Yaya is not Jola, but Mandinka,
Wolof, Fula, etc.  If Yaya is performing any Jola ritual, these people are
right there dancing with him and acting more Jola than Jolas.  Look at the
Assembly for instance, how many are Jola in that body?  How about the Judges
that do his bidding?  The SOS's?  The Ambassadors?  Look at his business
partners: Amadou Samba, Tarik Musa, Baba Jobe, Lang Conteh, etc.  I believe
sycophancy, "Badolah- the habit aspect" and "Seyborru" is more of a Gambian
problem.  Regardless of their ethnic persuasion, those that embark on
"Seyborru" are flexible and can adapt or cling to any "Khaftan" or "Mboubu".
  If Gambians will drop this habit by 50% our Yaya problem will be almost
solved.  If sycophancy around Yaya is none existent, you will be surprised
how lonely Yaya will stand alone with very few Jolas around, if any.  That
same sycophancy is what kept Jawara at the switch, sleeping, for almost 30
years.  Nearly all that are around Yaya today were around Jawara during the
first republic.

Still, Yaya is a tribalist and must be brought down to earth.

Chi Jaama

Joe Sambou