GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
SUNTOU TOURAY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jul 2008 17:32:47 +0100
Haruna, Dr Jaiteh and Brother Demba, the discussion has taken another twist. i can't wait for Haruna's further analysis. I didn't opine that The United States is a country that stifle freedom of speech and and democracy. in fact the u.s is the best example of what democracy should be like. i have my reservations about its foreign policy, one rule for home citizens and another for foreign countries. this is the biggest conflict that the u.s don't wish to reconcile. like the  u.s, we here in Europe have access to the free press, good governance and the protection of human rights. this is not the issue.
  what i mean is the u.s and European history is marred with violent acts against people of colour and this is not possible in most cases without readying the masses through demonising and caricature. i wish you folks read books dealing with the features and nature of blacks, Arabs, Turks etc, the racism is incomparable. the men running the press in the west have this books in store and can employ dirty tactics whenever the need arises. depicting Obama has a terrorist sympathiser is no joke. he can be killed by bigoted and racist fanatics. what happen to Martin Luther? wasn't he branded a communist by the FBI? we shouldn't be defending the press for the sake of it, they need to be responsible. here in the u.k, there many news papers has been fined today  close to $1million dollars after they wrongfully branded an innocent man a paedophile.
  Bother demba is a staunch PDOIS supporter. i like that. i am not. but the foroyaa has been disseminating news for since i can remember, what is wrong with them still unable to move the hearts of Gambians? i don't know. yes, i can be blame for my hypocrisy and all what not but  pdois is not doing some thing right. may be i am below per to comprehend their message but i find their paper very boring. how can they attract masses is some thing the likes of demba and trusted lieutenants need looking into. Obama may be destine , but i still believe, he has a long way to go.

Haruna Darbo <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  Gentlemen,

We have now succeeded in morphing the disdainful caricature of Obama and his
wife by a free American Press into the ware of malignant Gambia.

I want you to pause for a moment and reflect on your commentaries.

Demba - You posit that Sir Dawda was able to manipulate the population of
Gambia who were kept ignorant and or denied access to information. I suppose you
share here that Sir Dawda kept them ignorant and denied them access to
information to whatever extent. Or perhaps you meant Sir Dawda kept Gambians
ignorant by denying them access to information. It would appear then that keeping
someone ignorant is not a crime but the denial of access to information was
the crime Sir Dawda committed. It will have been valuable therefore for you
to share with us what information Sir Dawda denied Gambians access to.
Meanwhile, I want to chat with you a bit.

Sir Dawda was president of Gambia for some 30 odd years from independence to
his unceremonious ouster. You will agree with me that prior to colonisation,
Gambians were at one time or another, subjects of kings and warriors drawn
from their societies. They enslaved each other, sold each other into bondage,
wanton murder, rape, incarceration, and other miscellaneous crime abound. It
was the same in England, Wales, Scotland, Ireland, Rome, Iran, and Omdurman.
There were numerous revolutions and rebellions to stamp out graft and
graffignette from societies. Colonisation only utilized/harnessed existing conditions
to suit the interests of the colonists. We cannot fault them any more than
our own people. This is to share that people were people and will continue to
be people. With that background, Gambians still wanted independence from
colonists and they chose Sir Dawda to shepherd them into freedom and bliss. Sir
Dawda was assisted by a good number of Gambians of various persuasions. There
was a minister of information and one of education. By all accounts, Sir
Dawda's was not a military state to guard information that he may keep under lock
and key and dared any Gambian to seek it at the peril of murder and maiming.
Sir Dawda maintained a flourishing Judiciary. a competitive polity, and a
free press. Sir Dawda's reign is what produced PDOIS, NCP, Foroyaa, Yahya,
Demba, and Haruna. He maintained the National Library, Gazette, Archives, and
Museum. Opportunity for study abroad was available to competent and qualified
Gambians although there were some shenanigans in the appropriation of some of
those scholarships. And who was responsible for those miscellaneous crimes???
Was it Sir Dawda Demba? Our brothers, sisters, parents, cousins, and
grandparents assisted Sir Dawda in his governance of Gambia. Themselves constituent
members of Gambia. Do you now still maintain that Sir Dawda denied Gambians
access to information? If you share that Sir Dawda was complacent, or was
negligent, and or appeared disinterested at times, I could grant you that. May
even agree with you to an extent. But to have committed the crime of denying
any citizen access to any information??? That is in your customary Gambian
imagination. will grant and other press which by virtue of their subversive
interests, chose to go underground. Going underground itself was a free choice by
this press because it seemed to complete the intent to undermine good
government.

Demba, you shared that Mr. Jaiteh was on the money. Which money you
neglected to share with us. I took the opportunity to review Dr. Jaiteh's notes but I
did not come across where he stated or implied that Sir Dawda kept Gambians
ignorant by denying them access to information. I think what is happening
Demba is that we are confusing PDOIS propaganda dwarfing that of PPP as Sir
Dawda's reluctance to grant access to information. Sometimes we have to look at
the quality and colour of information to be able to identify whether a crime
of proper denial has been committed by our fellow citizen. I am confident you
are aware of the cases that the government of Sir Dawda lost to ordinary
citizens and those cases where officials of government lost to more ordinary
citizens. This was all due to the growing and flourishing judicial system Demba.
Compare Sir Dawda's reign to those of his contemporaries. Anywhere in the
world I might add. Don't be enticed into evaluating Sir Dawda's reign in terms
of your own and unique desires or those of another generation. You will not
yield perspective. A comparative study is only as good as its relevance. You
seem to equate knowledge or anti-ignorance that Sir Dawda denied with more
frequent international news. I know you are a nostalgic fellow (:>>))) Demba, but
I think you meant to say you would have rather liked more international news
coverage at Radio Gambia, of which Sir Dawda was not programming Director.
Of course I remembered listening to the BBC worldservice, VOA, Deutchevalle,
the East Africa Journal, Pravda, Martinique radio, Radio France
Internationale, when I pleased and when I can afford batteries for my shortwave radio. I
gravitated more to visiting the villages and urban centers for local news. My
ignorance was quenched by more local news. I have also witnessed many a
rebellion in my time when I felt aversed and compelled.

Now then. Dr. Jaiteh - You shared with Suntou the value of Freedom of the
Press in the ware of a democratic life. I am forever grateful for that. I wished
you had added the "Freedom of association for religion and Industry" in that
conversation with Suntou for you went on to share an anecdotal example of
when PDOIS leaders used to be caricatured as a bunch of godless communists. I
am sure you wished to impress on Suntou the right of those Gambians to
caricature PDOIS leaders as a bunch of mindless, godless, communists but also that
the rest of the Gambians, you and me and Suntou and Demba, also had and
continue to have the Freedom to associate ourselves or not with such caricature of
PDOIS. That is why you lost our Suntou. Instead of appreciating the gist of
your commentary i.e. the value of freedom of speech and of the press, what
jumped out at him was your disdain for those exercising it and your apparent
affinity for PDOIS leaders. I wish to now take issue with your impression "That,
they do not believe in God's existence and that any god-fearing Gambian
should not vote for them. That view is still not far fetched to imagine in many
parts of the country. Of course missing from the argument is their life's work
of selfless service to the country even at the expense of their own
wellbeing."
Dr. Jaiteh, and as disclaimer, I share that my own uncle has been one of
those leaders in PDOIS who are so caricatured. Uncle Sidia is a prolific
linguist and sociologist. He has represented the people of Wulli via PDOIS well and
he continues to do so today. He has earmarked for years now, part of his
Assemblyman salary, albeit meagre, for the Wulli Fund, a micro-credit entity
fashioned after the VASACAs of Yunus. The people of Wulli have themselves helped
to augment that entity for their growth and development. Similar disposition
for philanthropy is manifest in Uncles Halifa and Sam. I have great honour
for these men. I also have contrarian views to PDOIS and some disdain for it.
Sometimes my honour and admiration for the trio is not readily discernible for
my utter disdain for PDOIS. And what is my disdain for PDOIS you may ask? In
my view and disappointment, PDOIS is ONE BIG CONFLICT of INTEREST REGIME.
Nevermind godlessness and or communism. I can deal with those in their proper
context. What you shared with Suntou, is the demarche of PDOIS' competition.
That was PPP and NCP. Now it is APRC. And that is what PDOIS' conflicts of
interest opens them to. They must therefore be strong enough to dispel those
rumors if their ware is pure philanthropy. That may be their intent. But is that
their ware? Significant difference.

I am getting long here so I must retire for now. I must make my first
appointment to volunteer at the local Feed America program. When I return Demba, I
will entreat you to a sociological experiment that may yield more
perspective. I have also not completed my contribution to the conversation about
Orphaned Children.

Thank you for your audience. Feel free to rebut or ascend to my notes as you
desire.
Haruna.
I encourage you to Goodsearch for The GLobal Democracy Project
Raise funds for your favourite charity by using _www.goodsearch.com_
(http://www.goodsearch.com/) - powered by Yahoo!

Demba Baldeh wrote:
Suntou, Mr. Jaiteh is on the money. It was a populace that was kept ignorant
and lack of access to information that Sir Dawda was able to manipulate. The
Gambian people did not know anything better and were only expose to
international news once a week - aka Jamamo by Sarjo Barrow. I remember
growing up when many people would not miss this once a week world report. As
a result, they believed anything Jawara told them even to Abandon their
farms and depend on "Tusse Mano".

America of course is different, the American people do not like people to
tell them what to do. While hate and racism is still a reality in American
society, anything in the open is often met with resistance. You will see the
backlast that this hate will generate in the United States during this
elections. Even if Obama is not able to make his case, the people will not
buy into such gabbage.

The world is changing and I believe Obama is up for destiny. Sit and
watch...

Dr. Jaiteh wrote:
Suntou,
I guess my point is that whether you live in America or The Gambia,
politics is froth with unfair tactics. It is, in a way, the cost of
doing business. However, unlike the old world, there exists here in the
US mechanisms for each side to make their case or defend themselves so
to speak, without resorting to violence.

bytheway, you want to give where credit is due. one need not be a PDOIS
supporter to hear what was being said about them. As to how they deal
with their situation, its up to them.

Malanding

Suntou wrote:
Dr Jaiteh, well well, i never knew you are this keen on PDOIS, but nice to
know any way. as for the new yorker, i am not that confident with the united
states political landscape as you are. the two terms for mister bush or forest
and his continuous war mongering and the incompetence on the economy, i think
we over rate the awareness of the the American voters.
as for the demonising of the Obamas, there is two sides to it. watching CNN
and sky news, some people do buy the idea that Obama is suspect, the
caricature is just what i refer to as "testing testing". the media is in charge Dr
jaiteh, make no mistake about that. yes, our own Dracula aka giyo lanka is a
non-starter. he came to power through force, what do you expect from a man
with very low level of education and surrounded by yes sir bossers. kopar nda
wal seekers from morning to mid-afternoon. as for the pdois issue, i have said
it here over and over, that their message is misunderstood, why? your guess
is as good as mine. that party need a complete overhauling in terms of
dissemination of their message. a leaf out of Obama's book, recruit as many
youngsters as possible, utilise the Internet, be friendly and accessible, don't let
staunch supporters comments irritate would be supporters. the party's good
message is hanging some where. i am not a season political party
supporter. i can vote for a party that i am happy with, this depends on the
complete message.
when people allow themselves to be demonise, the end result is usually ugly.
have you watch, films like America under siege, air force one, etc,
depicting the Arabs as what the hollywood film makers wanted them to be? what happen
next is strange relapse of security and then retaliations and continuous
killings. Dr jaiteh, i fear domonisers, throughout human history, catastrophes
are presided by the band of demonisers and then hell break loose. fear them
also, whether they are in the advance u.s or backyard Kanilai. they are have one
agenda and one goal. the gun crimes among black youths in u.s and UK is not
an accident. watch out.

Dr. Jaiteh wrote:
Suntou,
I am sure you have heard during the early days of PDOIS or there after,
that its leaders were a bunch of godless communists. That, they do not
believe in God's existence and that any god-fearing Gambian should not
vote for them. That view is still not far fetched to imagine in many
parts of the country. Of course missing from the argument is their
life's work of selfless service to the country even at the expense of
their own wellbeing. And I can venture to say that most Gambians who
know them would tell you that few Gambians, past and present would match
brothers Halifa, Sam and Sidia in their moral character and love of that
country. But still the same will hesitate voting for them for fear that
God will not be pleased.

While the new world isn't that different from old we left behind, when
it comes to politiking, be assured that Americans unlike Gambians do not
shy away from using the same "freedom of speech" clause to say their
mind on what others write (the New Yorker magazine included). The
paper's has been take to task and believe me the message has been
received loud and clear. An guess what, no one feared being abducted by
agents of the state/the king.
Malanding

Suntou began:
watching the news cast today, Mr obama and his wife have been depicted as
terrorist and islamist sympathisers and the wife a black panther. at what length
will conservative America accept that obama is a christian and an American
regardless of his faith?
why should obama be depicted this way? i know you folks (Gambian American)
are quiet but this is not funny, you are breading in the U.S and when leaders
can be demonise in the name of press freedom, always be on your guard. this
debate is going some where.

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい