GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
saul khan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jul 2000 15:31:08 GMT
Ebrima,

I'm not sure there's any need to add to what you've already said. For what
it's worth, I'm with you 100%. Like you, I red the Editorial in question,
and found it to be ambiguous at best. Given the sickness that has befallen
our nation thanks to this Yaya Jammeh govt, the last thing we need from any
independent Gambian paper is sending mixed signals. The Independent's
editorial should have been either pro, or anti APRC vis-a-vis the last six
years. It was neither. The "middle ground" that they thred is inappropriate
for an editorial as far as I know.

In any case, if the guys choose to label you as less than patriotic, they
might as well put me on the list 'cause I agree with you entirely. And for
the record, I cannot recall EVER hearing of your name until I joined this
List. Maybe it's because I've never been a fan of the Observer. On the
contrary, Yorro is a life-long friend, and I was at the Sixth Form the same
time as Baba Galleh. So on a personal level, I feel more comfortable with
them. But on this issue, I believe with all my heart that The Independent is
dead wrong! And their rejoinder to yourself and Cherno Baba IS THE
disappointment. They won't win themselves many friends by adopting such an
attitude. But I'll just rest my case if I were you, 'cause like they say
"quit while you're on top."

Saul.