GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jun 2000 21:07:49 EDT
Beran, thanks for forwarding this. Talk about slimy characters. Do we expect
this government to effectively oversee the dispensation of justice in our
country when it is continuously moving the goalpost each time it is
cornered? No wonder that Yaya supporter that came here over the weekend
peddling ideas about giving the guards police powers did not return when we
asked him about the effective date of the grant and the reasoning behind
that choice of date. If Pap Cheyassin Secka thinks that he can use this
piece of legislation to absolve the soldiers that partook in the massacre of
our children, then he must be out of his mind. This law would be repugnant
to natural justice if its effect would be to deny the victims of the
massacre their day in court. Therefore any court in which they wave this
piece of thrash should treat it as toilet paper. Knowing how incompetent and
sinister the AG and his gang are, I would not be surprised if they still try
to go to court and embark on another futile attempt to defend the
indefensible. Every one (including the ordinary Samba in the street) is
watching them. We know what they are up to. Again, if the AG keeps changing
the laws and denying people justice, people will just take things into their
own hands. So the AG should muster courage and tell Yaya that some of these
positions they are taking will just lead to disaster. The Press should put
the AG on the spot and ask him to interpret the legislation for them and
guarantee them that it is not going to be used in any future trial against
the perpetrators of the April massacre. People should also continue to put
them on the spot about the role of this force in the coming campaign season.
Do we want to unleash brutal thugs (armed with the law and heavy weaponry)
on the political supporters of opposition parties?
This latest shenanigan coupled with reports that the AG is planning to hoist
Darboe back to court should be another wake up call to Darboe supporters.
They should insist that the charges against him and his supporters be
dropped forthwith. They should not put all their trust in the legal system.
Try and find political solutions to the problem by rallying around your
leader and not permitting the government to railroad him. If the need
arises, attack any police station they wish to illegally incarcerate him or
any court that wish to railroad him. We also respectfully urge Darboe's
legal team to explore following forensic avenues to have these charges
dropped without a full-blown trial. Even if they do not succeed in court,
they would help in showcasing the brutality and sliminess of this regime.
KB