GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Musa Jeng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Aug 2000 14:12:57 -0400
An enlightened electorate can help in the workings of democracy. PDOIS
has always belief that teaching people about their rights is the bedrock
to an open and democratic Gambia.

PDOIS, unquestionably, would be the party that can lead the Gambia to a
stable, and open democratic society. But it is also a political reality
that we are still years away from such a dream. It is rather sad and
unfortunate that the only party that can introduce the Gambia to
constitutional democracy, put together the foundation to a real
development program, protect individual rights and bring power to the
people does not have the majority support of the people.

To join the sentiments expressed by Mr. Ebou Jallow, Hamjatta and rest
of the G”lers, there is a need to reevaluate the Gambia’s political
options. Gambians both at home and in the Diaspora see the dire need for
a tactical move to bring an end to a government that is leading us to
the path that Sierraleone and Liberia took. A government that came to
power singing the songs of openness, fighting corruption and creation of
a real democracy, unfortunately became the government that brought
death, misery and hopelessness.

To Sidia Jatta and Halifa Sallah and the rest of the PDOIS party,
whether anybody supports you or not, most Gambians have the feeling that
putting our country under your responsibility can be the beginning of
the country’s journey to prosperity, law and order, justice and
democracy. Maybe, it is rather convenient for some of us, especially
living outside of the Gambia to make recommendation and even demand the
need for a tactical move that can put your lives and many more people
lives at risk. But it is also a political reality that Gambia will never
have free and fair elections under YAYA Jammeh, and clearly Gambia will
eventually become a Liberia or a Sierra Leone.

Mr.Sallah, you have utilized the option of writing open letters to the
Jammeh government. I will have to admit that some of the letters, in the
early days of the coup were viewed, especially to people like myself
that they were interfering with the change that we have waited for the
last three decades. We wanted the end to a corrupt Jawara regime, and
Jammeh was our savior to take us to the promise land. Well to our
disappointment and utter dismay, Mr. Jammeh has squandered and missed an
opportunity of a lifetime and opted to follow the footsteps of the most
brutal and corrupt African leaders. It is fair to say that unlike most
of us, PDOIS is not driven or fixated to the politics of the moments,
but clearly driven by sets of political beliefs and direction.
Nonetheless, it is also abundantly clear that sending open letters to
Mr. Jammeh may not save us from the path to a Sierra Leone or Liberia,
and there is a need to try a different tactic. The suggestion to lead a
civil demonstration with all political parties, religious groups,
associations, vous and businesses would definitely bring some sort of
response from Mr. Jammeh. He needs to understand that the country is not
going to sit idly by and allow him to destroy the Gambia.

Mr. Sallah, it is about time to take a much more aggressive strategy and
raise the stakes a little bit higher, and to demand from Mr.Jammeh that
we want our country back. It is pre-determined that the 2001 elections
are going to be rigged, people are going to be intimidated with violence
and Jammeh will be elected for another five years. There is a dire need
to preempt and rescue our country from the heels of a government that
has really lost it. If mass demonstrations and civil disobedience still
receive the same sort of response as the open letters, then the same
political leaders will appeal to country’s like Senegal, within the sub
region to put in the political pressure.
As political leaders, you cannot allow Jammeh to hold the country
hostage and lead us to the abyss of hell. Gambia cannot be another
Liberia or Sierra Leone. A political pressure can come in the form
closing their embassies in the Gambia, whether that will make any
difference it is another story. But President Jammeh needs to understand
that we are ready to take actions and sacrifice not to allow our country
to be destroyed.

Musa JENG